Why become a member? ×

Fitting New EQ Switches

phil.mcglassup

I have got hold of a new set of EQ switches for my TE amp and have been informed that it is a delicate operation as the switches are very small and plastic. Also, they have to be soldered onto turrets to precision so that they fit in the holes in the front cover.

Has anyone ever done this? If, so, any pointers?

I am quite competent with a soldering iron - I just don't want to do any damage!!

TIA.

[quote name='phil.mcglassup' post='1034221' date='Nov 23 2010, 06:56 PM']I have got hold of a new set of EQ switches for my TE amp and have been informed that it is a delicate operation as the switches are very small and plastic. Also, they have to be soldered onto turrets to precision so that they fit in the holes in the front cover.
Has anyone ever done this? If, so, any pointers?
I am quite competent with a soldering iron - I just don't want to do any damage!![/quote]

Never tried it but some of the steps are going to be pretty generic.

If you're going to dismantle anything then it always makes sense to have a totally clear space to do it on - anything that falls out/off is easily spotted.
I have a white sheet that I put on my workbench before I start dismantling:)

If you need to undo any cables to get to the area you are working in, label them, draw pictures, take a photo - whatever it takes to remind you where stuff came from.
Relying on memory is fine until you get distracted :)

Use a suitable sized soldering iron for the job - big enough to work but not so large that you're melting everything within a 1" radius of where you are working.

Check and check again that where you are about to position the component is in exactly the right position to prevent it catching on the faceplate - if that's awkward then use a sheet of paper marked with the exact location to use as a template to work from.

HTH

Thanks.
I did think of making some sort of template so that the new switches (the EQ and pre shape buttons) but it would have to be made accurately. I wondered if it is possible to get hold of low melting point solder so that excess heat can be avoided. The switches are very small and only have two short legs to solder to and was advised that the heat that builds up can easily melt the switch being fitted.

Actually getting to the switches is pretty strightforward, it's all plug and play really it's just that this is the most delicate bit of soldering I've ever been faced with!!

[quote name='phil.mcglassup' post='1034714' date='Nov 24 2010, 07:56 AM']Thanks.
I did think of making some sort of template so that the new switches (the EQ and pre shape buttons) but it would have to be made accurately. I wondered if it is possible to get hold of low melting point solder so that excess heat can be avoided. The switches are very small and only have two short legs to solder to and was advised that the heat that builds up can easily melt the switch being fitted.

Actually getting to the switches is pretty strightforward, it's all plug and play really it's just that this is the most delicate bit of soldering I've ever been faced with!![/quote]

To make a template I usually choose the nearest edge of the chassis and measure the location from there, then do the same thing on the vertical plane. Once I have those it's easy to make a template on a piece of cardboard box :)

As for solder, try and track down the old style 60/40 Lead Tin stuff and avoid the lead free type as it has a higher melting point.

Just take your time with it, plan ahead and double check before soldering the switch and you'll be fine :)

It looks like B&Q do a leaded solder- is this the one?

[url="http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9284805&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=solder&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1290617338583&isSearch=true"]http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?acti...p;isSearch=true[/url]

Cheers.

[quote name='phil.mcglassup' post='1035288' date='Nov 24 2010, 04:52 PM']It looks like B&Q do a leaded solder- is this the one?

[url="http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9284805&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=solder&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1290617338583&isSearch=true"]http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?acti...p;isSearch=true[/url]

Cheers.[/quote]

Yep - that's the one :)