Why become a member? ×

What makes a patch lead sound dull?

1976fenderhead

I've been having a couple of weird issues with a 12 inch Adam Hall patch lead with Switchcraft plugs.

First of all, I started getting the following: if using the lead with an expression pedal, I could never reach the maximum value of the expression. So I could see in the M9's display that the bar representing the parameter I was affecting would stop shortly before reaching maximum. There was no way I could take any parameter to maximum, so for example pitch shifter would always reach only +21.5 or something like that, never +24. Why could that be? The lead seemed fine otherwise, I could twist and turn it and would never get any noise or anything. The expression also worked fine with any other lead, just not this one.

Anyway, after a few months I DID start getting sound cut off and the lead was actually broken on a soldering point. I fixed it and it seemed fine, now working well with the M9, but while AB'ing it with another lead that's exactly the same (Adam Hall, Switchcraft), except 9 inch, I noticed the 12 inch one sounds slightly duller. I don't know if that was also the case before I fixed it and I can't guarantee the cable used for both is exactly the same but it sure looks like it!?

So what can cause this? The way I soldered it (I have other cables I soldered the same way and they sound fine)? The cable is maybe a different make? Surely not the extra 3 inches???

And again, technically, what was limiting the expression from reaching maximum? And if it does that with an expression pedal, what's it doing to my sound if I use it between effects instead?

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='1030080' date='Nov 20 2010, 02:08 AM']I've been having a couple of weird issues with a 12 inch Adam Hall patch lead with Switchcraft plugs.

First of all, I started getting the following: if using the lead with an expression pedal, I could never reach the maximum value of the expression. So I could see in the M9's display that the bar representing the parameter I was affecting would stop shortly before reaching maximum. There was no way I could take any parameter to maximum, so for example pitch shifter would always reach only +21.5 or something like that, never +24. Why could that be? The lead seemed fine otherwise, I could twist and turn it and would never get any noise or anything. The expression also worked fine with any other lead, just not this one.

Anyway, after a few months I DID start getting sound cut off and the lead was actually broken on a soldering point. I fixed it and it seemed fine, now working well with the M9, but while AB'ing it with another lead that's exactly the same (Adam Hall, Switchcraft), except 9 inch, I noticed the 12 inch one sounds slightly duller. I don't know if that was also the case before I fixed it and I can't guarantee the cable used for both is exactly the same but it sure looks like it!?

So what can cause this? The way I soldered it (I have other cables I soldered the same way and they sound fine)? The cable is maybe a different make? Surely not the extra 3 inches???

And again, technically, what was limiting the expression from reaching maximum? And if it does that with an expression pedal, what's it doing to my sound if I use it between effects instead?[/quote]

The inner cable that goes to the "tip" of the jack plug - they often have a thin black sheath covering the white\clear insulation that covers the copper.

You need to ensure that you don't let that black sheath layer touch the tip connector of the jack - run a craft knife over it as far back as you can reach and remove it.
It's conductive - albeit with a high resistance.