Why become a member? ×

Does the DHA bass compressor provide any overdrive?

dannybuoy

Dave, I've been thinking of getting your VT1 bass overdrive pedal. Now, I am also looking at getting a compressor, but unfortunately cannot afford both!

I only want the OD for very light on-the-verge-of-breaking-up tube warmth and growl. Would the compressor alone provide such a tone if set correctly, seeing as it's got a valve in it?

Just thinking this because I've heard the soud clips of the Electro Harmonix Black Finger compressor (with guitar unfortunately, no bass) and it does sound like a very mild overdrive.

cheers,
Dan

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='117551' date='Jan 10 2008, 12:07 AM']Dave, I've been thinking of getting your VT1 bass overdrive pedal. Now, I am also looking at getting a compressor, but unfortunately cannot afford both!

I only want the OD for very light on-the-verge-of-breaking-up tube warmth and growl. Would the compressor alone provide such a tone if set correctly, seeing as it's got a valve in it?

Just thinking this because I've heard the soud clips of the Electro Harmonix Black Finger compressor (with guitar unfortunately, no bass) and it does sound like a very mild overdrive.

cheers,
Dan[/quote]

Hi Dan,

Not really is the answer. It will overdrive a little if you turn the compression and decay to zero but then there is no compression. Or, you could turn the output level up and even switch the boost on but the compression noise will be to high if the output level is not at unity.

Dave