Why become a member? ×

FENDER 50th ANNIVERSARY U.S. PRECISION BASS [1996] Fretless ****SOLD****

The GroovyPlucker

PRICE DROP AGAIN FOR A QUICK [ER] SALE AS I'VE SEEN A BASS I REALLY WANT.

£499

FENDER 50th ANNIVERSARY U.S. PRECISION BASS [1996] Fretless FS/FT

A chance to own one of a reasonably Rare run of Fender Basses, also in a very Rare colour for that run too.

This is a U.S. model, serial number N6106150, DATING FROM 1996.
It was a limited run to celebrate 50 years of Fender, and I believe from what I can gleen from the web, that there were only 500 made.
There was another Precision from 2001 to celebrate 50 Years of the Precision Bass also, but not to be confused with this earlier model.
The neck has a date stamp of April 1996 and is also made by one of the Fender Workshop’s legends, H. Gastelum. His Bass necks are said to be some of the best Fender have ever produced.
The colour to me is quite baffling. It’s nearer a Gibson SG colour, sure it’s not Candy Apple Red, I might be wrong. Could also have been re-sprayed by a previous owner, but it doesn’t look like it to my eye.
Anyway, it’s a cool colour combo, with the black scratchplate.
This Bass is as said Fretless, it’s shadow fretted, and has a set of La Bella Flatwounds, and a set of D’addario Half Wounds for a bit more brightness, also this makes it play like a fretted bass IMHO.
It’s also through body strings, the bridge has no facility to accept strings, unless the bridge was changed to say a Badass Bridge.
I have played it as a fretted bass and a fretless with the help of FX. So from Paul Young/Pino Palladino to straight rock.
This Bass has had a History, and there are a fair number of Dings, not complete mojo stuff, but will get pics asap.
Will throw in a Hard Case with the Bass also

Now, am looking a trade or a sale.
In trade am after a Fender, preferably something like a Tony Franklin, Humbucker + Jazz Pick-ups, also really has to have the 77-80 headstock decal, am pretty fussy about that as I love that era of Basses and it will complement my Marcus Miller V.
But as always if you’re interested let me know what you have.

Sale wise, am not 100% sure of value as there’s precious little I’ve found about them on the web. Have a few Url’s which I’ll add in with the info I’ve found thus far.

So given it’s limited run, rare colour, and it being an American Fender, I’m gonna slap £850 on it. Might be ambitious, might be a giveaway, let me know you’re thoughts.

Again, a lot of the details I’ve given are from the net, anyone knowing any different, don’t shoot me down, just let me know.

Am in no rush to let this go at present either.

[attachment=64275:_B6J6Lcg...NP____35.jpg]

[attachment=64276:_B6J6F1g...Ekg___35.jpg]

[attachment=64277:_B6J5_2g...__w___35.jpg]

[attachment=64462:P1010283.JPG]

[attachment=64463:P1010284.JPG]

[attachment=64464:P1010290.JPG]

[attachment=64465:P1010291.JPG]

[attachment=64466:P1010293.JPG]

[attachment=64467:P1010294.JPG]

Here’s the Url’s

[url="http://www.stratcollector.com/newsdesk/archives/000057.html"]http://www.stratcollector.com/newsdesk/archives/000057.html[/url]

[url="http://lawsie.blogspot.com/2009/05/fender-precision-bass-guitar.html"]http://lawsie.blogspot.com/2009/05/fender-...ass-guitar.html[/url]

[url="http://www.bgra.net/reviews/fender-1996-p-bass-50th-anniversary-ltd.-ed.-1-rvw.html"]http://www.bgra.net/reviews/fender-1996-p-...-ed.-1-rvw.html[/url]

PICS NOW ADDED

Cheers, The Groovy Plucker

Edited by The GroovyPlucker

[quote name='The GroovyPlucker' post='1029537' date='Nov 19 2010, 04:19 PM']Bump for no replies, thought there'd be more interest in a Ltd Ed Fender.[/quote]
Looks lovely but some better pics would definitely help as - even when they they re-size - they are very small on my PC. I was looking for a fretless Precision a few weeks back, wish this had come up then. Have since bought a fretless Jazz so I'm no longer in the market

[quote name='Clarky' post='1029635' date='Nov 19 2010, 05:11 PM']Looks lovely but some better pics would definitely help as - even when they they re-size - they are very small on my PC. I was looking for a fretless Precision a few weeks back, wish this had come up then. Have since bought a fretless Jazz so I'm no longer in the market[/quote]

Thanks, will get the Cam rolling tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

hi,

if it helps I was the last owner of this one (ebay? NI sterling etc?)...and this bass is beautiful in every single way.

Kind of regret selling it now as it truly is a limited edition.

If you search down to sundays basses to sell i've got a US Fender Jazz bass with retro fitted Korg Kaoss pad to sell/trade and would be happy to do a deal (bit wild and out of there agreed but the custom Jazz korg bass is a true one off!).

anyway No worries - I can vouch for the fact that the bass you have plays like a dream!

[quote name='minkey1980' post='1058837' date='Dec 14 2010, 07:00 PM']hi,

if it helps I was the last owner of this one (ebay? NI sterling etc?)...and this bass is beautiful in every single way.

Kind of regret selling it now as it truly is a limited edition.

If you search down to sundays basses to sell i've got a US Fender Jazz bass with retro fitted Korg Kaoss pad to sell/trade and would be happy to do a deal (bit wild and out of there agreed but the custom Jazz korg bass is a true one off!).

anyway No worries - I can vouch for the fact that the bass you have plays like a dream![/quote]

Hi.

Thanks for the kind words.
I just can't get on with this Precision sadly, have a Jazz ready to be defretted.
It's a beautiful looking Bass though, and that drew me in originally.
A lot of people have questioned the authenticity of the Bass though, maybe due to the colour, as all I've been able to find is Sunburst from this edition. Although the sticker on reverse of headstock should allay any fears.
I'll check your post there,

Cheers

Mark