Why become a member? ×

Input Jack Issues

PhoenixBass1

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you guys could tell me some of you're best tips for solving the problem crackling and connection loss from a bad input socket. I would rather not replace the socket as this requires soldering which I'm very poor at, also I'd probably eventually have the same problem with the new socket. Any ideas?

Thanks
PhoenixBass1

First check your leads. the connections to the plugs fail far more often than the sockets.

You can clean the contacts in the socket with a contact cleaner aerosol like Servisol but this will be a temporary fix. If you play live you owe it to your audience to take gear you know is reliable so you have to solder in a new socket. If you can't solder you have to pay someone else to do it. This is the sort of thing you only have to do every few years and it costs no more than a decent set of strings.

Sorry

[quote name='PhoenixBass1' post='1027466' date='Nov 17 2010, 11:48 PM']I was wondering if you guys could tell me some of you're best tips for solving the problem crackling and connection loss from a bad input socket. I would rather not replace the socket as this requires soldering which I'm very poor at, also I'd probably eventually have the same problem with the new socket. Any ideas?[/quote]

Not sure if this is on your guitar or your amp.

If it's on your [b]guitar[/b] then a replacement socket can be fitted by anyone who has some basic soldering skills.
If you don't feel comfortable that you have those skills and don't have a mate who does, then you need to head for a guitar shop that does repairs and let them do it.
It's not a complex piece of work so shouldn't cost you more than a 30min labour charge plus whatever parts they use.

If the problem is on your [b]amp[/b] then the soldering techniques required may be a little more complex and you may risk a bigger repair bill by letting any Tom, Dick or Jaco who has a soldering iron attack it.

As Phil has already said, make sure the problem is where you think it is - swap leads/guitars/amps (whatever you can do to prove or disprove where the fault lies) and then decide what you are going to do based on that.