Why become a member? ×

Aria EUB for sale or P/X vs American 62RI Jazz

Clarky

Please note I have added a trade option to this thread - I would consider a part-ex (cash your way) for an American 62RI Jazz in black or sunburst, don't care if a bit mojo'd

The following post was made by the former owner of my EUB (Beedster) on my FS thread in the DB/EUB section:

"This was the instrument that got me into playing Double Bass, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to do the same. It's quite 'discrete' physically, so I was able to smuggle it into our rehearsal room, and whip it out for a track I'd rehearsed a great DB-like part to, to be faced by a bunch of guys who'd normally never have considered an upright in the band saying 'wow, we didn't see that coming'. We haven't looked back since and I haven't really picked up either of my Precisions in 4 months! I've owned four EUBs, and they fall into three categories; the Stagg and the Dean were nothing like a double bass to play or to hear, and to my ear sounded like a fairly cheap fretless (I don't mean to offend anyone who owns one, just my opinion, sound is as much the player as the instrument let's face it), my current EUB, a Yamaha SLB-100 is a monster, both to lift and and to play, so in that respect, it's like a DB and I love it for that reason (and they're almost £3000 new as well). However, part of the point of an EUB I guess is that it's easy to move, and in this respect, the Yamaha fails and the Aria represent the best balance of good tone, DB feel and transportability overall. Whilst it's the older model without the magnetic neck PUP, most of the guys I know who've played both say that there is little difference between the two sound-wise (which is why I bought it in the first place and why I never upgraded it), and furthermore, the neck PUP, being magnetic, will only work with certain strings anyway. At £500, this instrument is a quality portable DB-alike (slings over your shoulder like a fishing rod), a great upgrade from a Stagg or Dean, or a quality first step into DB.

And it goes without saying that Clarky is an absolute gent to deal with, although let's face it, most of you know that already"

Edited by Clarky