Why become a member? ×

Dean B2 Brian Bromberg

pete.young

Up for sale is my 4-string Dean B2 Brian Bromberg signature model. If you like the looks and sounds of the earlier Peavey B-Quad but are looking for something of more modest means then this might appeal.

It's a 34" scale length with a 5-piece neck through and what I think is a flamed maple cap. The fingerboard is rosewood, other than that I've no idea what the woods used in construction are.

Original Dean web site page: [url="http://www.deanguitars.com/bromberg_signature.htm"]http://www.deanguitars.com/bromberg_signature.htm[/url] but doesn't tell you anything useful.

This bass is very light and playable, with an extremely thin and fast 2-octave neck. Besides the conventional Jazz-style pickups the B2 has a Fishman Piezo bridge. There's a 3-way toggle which allows you to select piezo only, mag pickups only or blend the two.

On its own the Piezo gives a very rich woody tone. The top octave rings out like the low end of a classical guitar. When used with the mag pickups it seems to add a bit of punch. All in all it's a very versatile instrument with a huge range of sounds. It's also a very clean signal so makes a good instrument for recording.

The downside is getting your head round the controls: there's a master volume, a piezo volume and one stacked pot with volume for each mag pickup. The second stacked pot is bass/treble for the mag pickups and the final pot is a mid range control, again for the mag - there's no EQ for the piezo.

Some pictures:

The bass is in excellent condition, with only two small dings next to the jack socket on the bottom edge. I've tried to photograph these without much success here: the vertical white mark on the left of the photo is a reflection.

The price is £250 . I'm not really looking for trades. There's no case, so shipping isn't an option. I can deliver the bass to Ipswich, central London or points in between, I can take it to the South East Bass Bash on 27th November, failing that you'll need to collect it.

Edited by pete.young