Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bridge

Bloc Riff Nut

I have a 75 MIJ Jazz re-issue and am looking to do the usual mods, Bridge - Pups - Tuning Keys.
(I've had it for about a year now and it plays great but sounds lacking)

I've fitted the Fender chrome plate over the bridge and want to keep the look but I'm not sure which bridges (Badass,Gotoh,Hipshot etc) will fit under it.
Have you guys got any tips?

Phil.

[quote name='philipleonard' post='1020956' date='Nov 12 2010, 08:00 AM']I've fitted the Fender chrome plate over the bridge and want to keep the look but I'm not sure which bridges (Badass,Gotoh,Hipshot etc) will fit under it.
Have you guys got any tips?

Phil.[/quote]

Badass definitely not, cant comment on the others.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1021089' date='Nov 12 2010, 10:21 AM']Badass definitely not, cant comment on the others.[/quote]

I think the 50th anniversary jazz bass that comes with covers has a Fender 'high-mass vintage' bridge - may be worth considering?

Oh and by the way, I replaced the supposedly US pickups on my own Jap 75RI and the sound came to life. I used the Mexican Vintage Alnicos as seen in the highway 1 and Classic 70s. Cheap but good. I'm sure Wizards, DiMarzios or something would do the job.

Edited by LawrenceH

I think you can get extra large covers off ebay that might fit the higher mass bridges, although ive never heard of anyone getting one to fit a BAII.

I actually replaced the pups in my HW-one Jazz with Wizards and it transformed the bass. I just love the tone i get from it now, and it was good to start with.

I guess im just agreeing that Wizards are a great upgrade and very cheap.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1021117' date='Nov 12 2010, 11:40 AM']I think you can get extra large covers off ebay that might fit the higher mass bridges, although ive never heard of anyone getting one to fit a BAII.

I actually replaced the pups in my HW-one Jazz with Wizards and it transformed the bass. I just love the tone i get from it now, and it was good to start with.

I guess im just agreeing that Wizards are a great upgrade and very cheap.[/quote]

I was already considering wizards, they get great reviews at a reasonable price.
The 'high-mass vintage' bridge keeps the vintage look (but it's covered ;-/ ), so this is my choice.
Now I just need to research pot meters.