Why become a member? ×

DHA VT1 EQ background noise

dunnymod

Hey there, just a quick query at this point – I use a DHA VT1 EQ bass almost exclusively, either through an amp or direct into the PA through the XLR. Within the last month whenever I play through the pedal there is now a background noise where there wasn’t before. Its not a Buzz or a Hum or an electrical noise, it sounds more like the pedal is constantly ‘breathing out’???

This is the same through the PA and the amp, and not there when I bypass the pedal. As this is my first prolonged experience with valve equipment im not sure if this is normal. Ive had the pedal over a year now, and this breathing sound has only developed, like I say, in the last month.

Just from reading other posts about valves it seems that a pre-amp valve is quite hard to break, (electro harmonix fitted as standard) and the tone of the pedal has not changed, so my question is really is this normal once valves have been ‘broken in’???? Or could it be something else in the pedal??

Any info would be appreciated.

cheers

[quote name='dunnymod' post='1018662' date='Nov 10 2010, 12:26 PM']Hey there, just a quick query at this point – I use a DHA VT1 EQ bass almost exclusively, either through an amp or direct into the PA through the XLR. Within the last month whenever I play through the pedal there is now a background noise where there wasn’t before. Its not a Buzz or a Hum or an electrical noise, it sounds more like the pedal is constantly ‘breathing out’???

This is the same through the PA and the amp, and not there when I bypass the pedal. As this is my first prolonged experience with valve equipment im not sure if this is normal. Ive had the pedal over a year now, and this breathing sound has only developed, like I say, in the last month.

Just from reading other posts about valves it seems that a pre-amp valve is quite hard to break, (electro harmonix fitted as standard) and the tone of the pedal has not changed, so my question is really is this normal once valves have been ‘broken in’???? Or could it be something else in the pedal??

cheers[/quote]

If you look in the Affiliates Forums listing there is actually one there for "Ask an Expert - Dave Hall Amps" - if anyone can answer this I bet he can :)

Edited by icastle

Cheers for the replies, I just wanted to see if it was an actual issue or how valves go after a time. I love the pedal like, I rely on the tone and drive from it way more than my amp. The power supply on the pedal is fine so i dont think it's that. Ive often thought about swapping the valve after reading the threads on here, but the price of a Mullard NOS put me off - especially when it does the job fine with the EH valve.

I will drop Dave Hall a quick email get his opinion on it also...

Thanks again

[quote name='dunnymod' post='1018662' date='Nov 10 2010, 12:26 PM']Hey there, just a quick query at this point – I use a DHA VT1 EQ bass almost exclusively, either through an amp or direct into the PA through the XLR. Within the last month whenever I play through the pedal there is now a background noise where there wasn’t before. Its not a Buzz or a Hum or an electrical noise, it sounds more like the pedal is constantly ‘breathing out’???

cheers[/quote]

Sounds like a power supply problem.

Dave