Why become a member? ×

Rig Recommendations

phil.mcglassup

Hi All,

I've done a few pub gigs with my amp which is a Carlsbro 90 combo miked through the PA but feel it is in need of repair and possibly replacing with something a little more powerful.

On a couple of occasions I have been allowed, quite generously I might add, to use the bass rig of the headlining act - and wow, what an improvement. My favourite was a 350W Trace Elliot rig which made my Hofner Contemporary Violin Bass sound a lot better. It had one 2x10 cab and one 1x12 cab both TE. To be honest though, I don't have any tone/sound preferences really, as long as everyone can hear me, up until now I've not been too fussy. I've put more effort into learning new songs etc as I thought it more important. I'd prefer a rig rather than a combo.

Do you think that this make of rig should suit my bass? Any model in particular? Any other options? Years ago a TE rig was something to aim for -is that still true today even though a lot of it is quite a few years old?

I know that they are heavy pieces of gear to lug about but I'm sure my other band members will be happy to help so that we can share the load and I don't want any 4x10 cabs, maybe a 2x10 and a 1x15. My back is not too bad for my age!!

I don't know why it is, but there never seems to be any such gear available near to where I live (or surrounding counties) as most seems to be down south.

Any help appreciated.

Second hand TE gear goes for very little nowadays. If you are happy with the TE sound then go for it. The 2x10 + 1x15 is a good mix. Personally I'd run two 2x10's stacked vertically. The 15 might not actually have a lower freq. response than the 10. Just keep an eye on that when buying a cab and you'll be fine.

Edited by Mog

How much should I expect to pay for a 300W head? Does the model make a big difference? i.e. GP7, GP12
And what about cabs? i.e 2x10 and 1x15, what is a sensible price to pay for them? I have spent a lot of time searching but there is little info on models/year etc and the completed listings on the 'bay don't tell me much!!

Finally, I know I'm a bit of a newb regarding rigs, but why are some heads classed as 'pre-amps'?

As usual, any help appreciated!!

[quote name='phil.mcglassup' post='1017655' date='Nov 9 2010, 03:15 PM']How much should I expect to pay for a 300W head? Does the model make a big difference? i.e. GP7, GP12
And what about cabs? i.e 2x10 and 1x15, what is a sensible price to pay for them? I have spent a lot of time searching but there is little info on models/year etc and the completed listings on the 'bay don't tell me much!!

Finally, I know I'm a bit of a newb regarding rigs, but why are some heads classed as 'pre-amps'?

As usual, any help appreciated!![/quote]

Where you based? We talking sterling or euro?
A preamp wont have a power section that can run speakers. 300 watts of TE power is plenty. Gp7= 7 bands of eq. Gp12= 12 bands of eq and maybe a few more features.

[quote name='phil.mcglassup' post='1017655' date='Nov 9 2010, 03:15 PM']How much should I expect to pay for a 300W head? Does the model make a big difference? i.e. GP7, GP12

As usual, any help appreciated!![/quote]

A head consists of a pre amp and a power amp. The pre amp conditions the signal from your bass (eq) and the power amp amplifies it.

Some people choose to have rack mounted rigs that consist of seperate pre and power amps, horses for courses and that.

I might have a Trace ah300smx for sale in a few weeks time, it's rated at 280 watts RMS.

The power amp section is currently being completely replaced by my tech, so no more reliability issues from this thing!

I'm going to put it through it's paces proper when i get it back to see if i want to keep it, but i'd let it go for something between £230 - £250 if i decided against it.

"300 watts of TE power is plenty" - he's right there.

:)

Hope this helps.

Edited by XPAULUSX

[quote name='phil.mcglassup' post='1017746' date='Nov 9 2010, 04:12 PM']Thanks.

So a TE amp that says 'Pre-amp' on the front will have a built in pre-amp AND a power amp which connects to the speakers.
Is that right?[/quote]

Yes mate, mine only says gp12smx pre amp on the front, simply stating that that's the model of pre amp in it.

Edit: UNLESS!!! It is just a dedicated pre amp!

Mine makes noise which would suggest it has a power amp in it =D

I was confused by the exact same thing when I was getting into rigs as well :)

Edited by XPAULUSX