Why become a member? ×

18inch Monster

4 Strings

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1012301' date='Nov 4 2010, 05:06 PM'][i] 18" Hartke High Powered Driver with Long Excursion 3" coil.[/quote]

See, this is the problem with marketing specs, not the ones labelled 'Thiele-Small' specs, that is a 3" diameter voice coil, arbitrarily labeled as 'long excursion', which is probably 4mm before distortion, might be a fair bit more with distortion though. Getting close to 10mm excursion without significant distortion is something a bit special in a driver.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1012326' date='Nov 4 2010, 05:26 PM']Difficult to do an A/B for 18" vs four 10"s as they are usually designed to do different jobs. I have a wonderful Trace 4x10, which has a very deep cabinet but it doesn't seem to go as deep in bass as the Hartke 2x10, nor anything like the Monster. (I had a Trace 1518 (15") years ago and that did. It was wonderful, I long for the days when I used to gig with that lot!)

I'm sure the A/B could be set up and show a favourable comparison with suitably designed speakers and cabinets but I can't help think that the 10s will be trying hard to do what a speaker like the Monster does with ease.

Lastly, where does the 13mm you mention come from?[/quote]

That Trace is probably outputting a hefty amount around 100Hz, using a box that's too small for an 'optimally' flat response (in hifi terms - if it sounds good it is good as far as bass cabs go!). I guess you could do that with the right 10"s (Deltalite 2510 IIs are probably a good candidate for that actually).

13mm was 3.25x the assumed 4mm of the Monster, based on the reduced surface area. It's all very rough and ready of course, but it's a ballpark on total displacement volume.

Agree entirely about the different jobs - that's the point I was trying to make about the generic 'sound' of certain speaker diameters, but it's not something that's inherently necessary.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1010632' date='Nov 3 2010, 12:22 PM']According to Hoffman's Iron law, a small cab can do it, but you'll need lots of power. The Acme cabs go for that compromise, they go very low, but need loads of power. The cab volume (of air inside) is the important factor. They use small speakers for midrange and high frequencies, in addition to large woofers.[/quote]

Totally agree I have an Avatar 2x10 with delta T's (ferrite drivers) in it has great lows and a lot of punch, it can do reggae no probs, with some low end compression, but you have to shove at least 750 watts rms into it, its a big box for a 2x10! I wish they still made it the modern neo ones are crap. If you ever come across one buy they are great. I got mine for£100 second hand.

Hey Josh - I'm having fun! No idea how or when I'll get a chance to use it. (I have a large auditorium gig at the end of Jan which might offer an opportunity.)

I once saw Lotus Elans run rings around bigger and more powerful cars at a classic car race, very impressive. Bit like 10s vs monsters such as this. Using this cab is a bit like driving a big jag, at power at ease. There will be smaller and better cabs but this seems effortless.

(Shifting isn't, its nar-on a hundredweight!)