Why become a member? ×

Matamp/Orange 2x15

XPAULUSX

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='1009161' date='Nov 1 2010, 11:33 PM']Alright awesome :)

never used 15's like what should i expect?[/quote]

man if you don't buy that link me to the dude selling i'd totally be all over that! Speakers in it look like goodmans or something and i'm guessing 50-100watts a piece, i'd definatly respeaker it though.

[quote name='umph' post='1009405' date='Nov 2 2010, 10:46 AM']man if you don't buy that link me to the dude selling i'd totally be all over that! Speakers in it look like goodmans or something and i'm guessing 50-100watts a piece, i'd definatly respeaker it though.[/quote]

The lad selling it is trying to get more information for me apparently!

All i can do is wait and see what price he wants for it!

I'm definately wanting to buy it like, but should it not suit me i'm sure there'd be interest for it on here :)

Also, speaker reccomendations anybody?

Edited by XPAULUSX

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='1009416' date='Nov 2 2010, 10:57 AM']The lad selling it is trying to get more information for me apparently!

All i can do is wait and see what price he wants for it!

I'm definately wanting to buy it like, but should it not suit me i'm sure there'd be interest for it on here :)

Also, speaker reccomendations anybody?[/quote]

depends on your budget i reckon. Also getting a ad200 with this cab would be sacralidge!

[quote name='umph' post='1009489' date='Nov 2 2010, 12:10 PM']depends on your budget i reckon.[/quote]

Well, say another £100-£150 on top of what i pay.

What would you recommend?

[quote name='umph' post='1009489' date='Nov 2 2010, 12:10 PM']Also getting a ad200 with this cab would be sacralidge![/quote]

HAHAHA i guess a GT200 it will have to be then!

Or a sound city 120!

[quote name='umph' post='1009550' date='Nov 2 2010, 01:03 PM']in that cab, would go for celestion orange labels or eminence basslite speakers since they should both be okay in a sealed enclosure, bit over your budget though[/quote]

[url="http://professional.celestion.com/bass/orange/index.asp"]http://professional.celestion.com/bass/orange/index.asp[/url]

These bad boys? far right?

Whats the difference between the orange label and the green label?

Edited by XPAULUSX

Been googling some, and in a 2x15 closed cab thread someone mentioned the Eminence Delta 15, so bunged it in WinISD at a guess of 180l sealed cab volume, looks ok, and comes in budget. I'd scout for other opinions (I'm sure they'll come shortly) on that before doing anything, because I've not had that much first hand experience of bodging in speakers.

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='1009568' date='Nov 2 2010, 01:18 PM'][url="http://professional.celestion.com/bass/orange/index.asp"]http://professional.celestion.com/bass/orange/index.asp[/url]
Whats the difference between the orange label and the green label?[/quote]
The orange label use light neodymium magnets, the green label ones use the older and heavier ferrite magnets, and are twice the weight. There are also subtle technical differences, the main one being that the orange look a bit more more efficient. :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1009575' date='Nov 2 2010, 01:24 PM']Been googling some, and in a 2x15 closed cab thread someone mentioned the Eminence Delta 15, so bunged it in WinISD at a guess of 180l sealed cab volume, looks ok, and comes in budget. I'd scout for other opinions (I'm sure they'll come shortly) on that before doing anything, because I've not had that much first hand experience of bodging in speakers.[/quote]

Whoah man im getting confused now.

How would i work out the overall RMS of the cab?

I'd also need to consider speaker sensitivity right?

and i'd also need to be able to work out the impedence of the bloody thing!

Man this is starting to get complicated!!!

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='1009595' date='Nov 2 2010, 01:34 PM']Whoah man im getting confused now.

How would i work out the overall RMS of the cab?

I'd also need to consider speaker sensitivity right?

and i'd also need to be able to work out the impedence of the bloody thing!

Man this is starting to get complicated!!![/quote]

Impedance and RMS are just adding the rating that comes with the speaker together in the right way, the box doesn't affect that. Speaker sensitivity is an issue if you are lacking power, the the mere fact you have 2 15" speakers is going to give a fair chunk of sensitivity because of the amount of air they are in contact with. Really, RMS and sensitivity are separate concerns, if you don't have much power, worry about sensitivity (and the first thing to do if that is a concern is not use a sealed cab), and if you have unlimited power RMS is a concern, but not as big a one as people make out, because the thermal power handling isn't a very useful spec in the real world (other things will make your speaker break first).

Really, if somone knows what they are up to enough to recommend some speakers, and some other people concur, they'll be able to tell you all of this. Best thing to do is learn WinISD use and be an internet know-it-all.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1009605' date='Nov 2 2010, 01:41 PM']Impedance and RMS are just adding the rating that comes with the speaker together in the right way, the box doesn't affect that. Speaker sensitivity is an issue if you are lacking power, the the mere fact you have 2 15" speakers is going to give a fair chunk of sensitivity because of the amount of air they are in contact with. Really, RMS and sensitivity are separate concerns, if you don't have much power, worry about sensitivity (and the first thing to do if that is a concern is not use a sealed cab), and if you have unlimited power RMS is a concern, but not as big a one as people make out, because the thermal power handling isn't a very useful spec in the real world (other things will make your speaker break first).

Really, if somone knows what they are up to enough to recommend some speakers, and some other people concur, they'll be able to tell you all of this. Best thing to do is learn WinISD use and be an internet know-it-all.[/quote]

I guess i'd like a compromise.

Im thinking about replacing my head with a bass terror for the time being. (currently have a Trace AH300SMX)

But then in the future, i'm definately wanting a Matamp GT200.

The bass terror has 500 watts RMS if im not mistaken so that will need to be considered.

Also, i may even be looking at getting a sound city 120, obviously less RMS, so sensitivity is an issue also.

I think i'm going to have to find some kind of compromise.

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='1009611' date='Nov 2 2010, 01:53 PM']I guess i'd like a compromise.

Im thinking about replacing my head with a bass terror for the time being. (currently have a Trace AH300SMX)

But then in the future, i'm definately wanting a Matamp GT200.

The bass terror has 500 watts RMS if im not mistaken so that will need to be considered.

Also, i may even be looking at getting a sound city 120, obviously less RMS, so sensitivity is an issue also.

I think i'm going to have to find some kind of compromise.[/quote]
trust me with the soundcity and a pair of basslites you'll get far to loud. I get to loud driving a single basslite with a 30watt head!

[quote name='umph' post='1009665' date='Nov 2 2010, 03:11 PM']trust me with the soundcity and a pair of basslites you'll get far to loud. I get to loud driving a single basslite with a 30watt head![/quote]

Are they the 300watt ones by any chance?

8 ohm each? so if i had two, that would make the cab impedance 4 ohms right? looks like they're £100 each like

OUCH!

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='1009687' date='Nov 2 2010, 03:30 PM']Are they the 300watt ones by any chance?

8 ohm each? so if i had two, that would make the cab impedance 4 ohms right? looks like they're £100 each like

OUCH![/quote]
yeah they are and it would, well if you think about it it's gonna be a hell of a lot better than any comercial cab you could buy for that price.

[quote name='umph' post='1009695' date='Nov 2 2010, 03:38 PM']yeah they are and it would, well if you think about it it's gonna be a hell of a lot better than any comercial cab you could buy for that price.[/quote]

I'm not trying to sound clever by any means, but why is that the case?

I think the speaker sensitivity is the same of that in my SVT 410HLF? right?

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='1009706' date='Nov 2 2010, 03:50 PM']I'm not trying to sound clever by any means, but why is that the case?

I think the speaker sensitivity is the same of that in my SVT 410HLF? right?[/quote]

Speaker sensitivity is pretty dependent on the cab in practice. Plus Ampeg's claims about speaker cabs are the most dubious ever. The 2x15 is going to be louder than the 4x10 as long as you are half way sensible with the speakers.

Basically, this will work out cheaper/better than commercial cabs because they have a few more stages of markup going on, plus massive 2x15s are the most unfashionable things ever, so commercial cabs are small and lame. Even Barefaced have discontinued their 2x15.

With a Pair of 8 ohm speakers, you have a choice of 4 or 16 ohm, valve heads you are best going for 16 so you can chain up more cabs (Doom), with SS, best with 4 as I think the Bass Terror switches between 4 and 8.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1009718' date='Nov 2 2010, 04:00 PM']Speaker sensitivity is pretty dependent on the cab in practice. Plus Ampeg's claims about speaker cabs are the most dubious ever. The 2x15 is going to be louder than the 4x10 as long as you are half way sensible with the speakers.

Basically, this will work out cheaper/better than commercial cabs because they have a few more stages of markup going on, plus massive 2x15s are the most unfashionable things ever, so commercial cabs are small and lame. Even Barefaced have discontinued their 2x15.

With a Pair of 8 ohm speakers, you have a choice of 4 or 16 ohm, valve heads you are best going for 16 so you can chain up more cabs (Doom), with SS, best with 4 as I think the Bass Terror switches between 4 and 8.[/quote]

Because valve heads output their full power no matter what cab right?

say i got the speakers and had them installed to 4 ohms, if i went and got a valve head at a later date, would it be possible to convert the cab to 16 ohms?

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='1009723' date='Nov 2 2010, 04:04 PM']Because valve heads output their full power no matter what cab right?

say i got the speakers and had them installed to 4 ohms, if i went and got a valve head at a later date, would it be possible to convert the cab to 16 ohms?[/quote]

Yep, and converting is just swapping wires, looks like a lot of screws to undo, but not really skilled.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1009725' date='Nov 2 2010, 04:06 PM']Yep, and converting is just swapping wires, looks like a lot of screws to undo, but not really skilled.[/quote]
So wiring the speakers in series equals one impedance and in parallel another?

If valve heads output their full amount no matter what the load they still have a minimum impedance right? For example a gt200 will only go as low as 4ohm, hence the need for 16 ohm speakers if your wanting to bring the DOOM right?

Edited by XPAULUSX

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='1009781' date='Nov 2 2010, 04:58 PM']So wiring the speakers in series equals one impedance and in parallel another?

If valve heads output their full amount no matter what the load they still have a minimum impedance right? For example a gt200 will only go as low as 4ohm, hence the need for 16 ohm speakers if your wanting to bring the DOOM right?[/quote]

They require specific impedance, as they have a switch, usually it is a choice of 4, 8 or 16, ampegs do 2 or 4, some do 8 or 16 only. 16 means you can have 16 alone, or pair with another 16 cab for 8, or 4 16 cabs for 4, gives most options, guessing Sound City will be a 4/8/16. Look up impedance in the wiki, linked up the top of the page.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1009784' date='Nov 2 2010, 05:02 PM']They require specific impedance, as they have a switch, usually it is a choice of 4, 8 or 16, ampegs do 2 or 4, some do 8 or 16 only. 16 means you can have 16 alone, or pair with another 16 cab for 8, or 4 16 cabs for 4, gives most options, guessing Sound City will be a 4/8/16. Look up impedance in the wiki, linked up the top of the page.[/quote]

Ah right sound, reckon ill wire em up initially for four ohms, then at least i can use it both with a tranny amp and a valve amp until i get more cabs.

Wonder what i could do to alter the impedence on my ampeg 4x10, it's 4 ohms now!

could that be changed to 16? then paried with the matamp, be reduced to 8 :)

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='1009823' date='Nov 2 2010, 05:32 PM']Ah right sound, reckon ill wire em up initially for four ohms, then at least i can use it both with a tranny amp and a valve amp until i get more cabs.

Wonder what i could do to alter the impedence on my ampeg 4x10, it's 4 ohms now!

could that be changed to 16? then paried with the matamp, be reduced to 8 :)[/quote]

Depends what is in it, might be able to wire it to 16 if it has 4 16s or 4 4s in it, actually, those are pretty likely. Might not contribute much though, if you run both together, you have the whole mixing drivers fun then, which you could also search on the site.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1009831' date='Nov 2 2010, 05:37 PM']Depends what is in it, might be able to wire it to 16 if it has 4 16s or 4 4s in it, actually, those are pretty likely. Might not contribute much though, if you run both together, you have the whole mixing drivers fun then, which you could also search on the site.[/quote]

Aw man, seems like i've got a lot more to learn about now.

Could treat myself to a matamp 2x15 if this purchase comes off, now a 4x15 would be INSANE!

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='1010151' date='Nov 2 2010, 10:48 PM']Aw man, seems like i've got a lot more to learn about now.

Could treat myself to a matamp 2x15 if this purchase comes off, now a 4x15 would be INSANE![/quote]

Yo!

I've had more info about the cab, turns out it is part of a PA column and is loaded with Fane speakers.

The lad who's selling it is waiting to hear back from someone in terms of it being modified but i'm sure some people on here will have a good idea about it!

Apparently, the cab isnt deep enough for a super bassy sound but will have a nice rattly midrange. The lad selling it said it would probably be best to use it accompanied with a seperate sub?

Anyone got any thoughts?

I should probably ask for the dimensions right?

Paul