Why become a member? ×

Can you mod a Big Muff with a gate?

Sibob

Just did a quick google and found this:

Is this all it is? (said as if I know what it means):

[i]"Noise gate mod: This mod will quieten the Muff while not playing, thus a noise gate. To do this, add a 100k trimpot (wired as a variable resistor) parallel to the 100k to ground of the second gain stage (R14). The trimpot can be adjusted to taste to get the max noise gate effect."[/i]

I'm guessing I can get my dad to do it (electronics professional)?!

Anyone tried it?

Si

increasing negative feedback reduces noise and lowers the gain of the stage, to much will make it oscillate though. Bit better than just lowering signal going into the stage IMO. just replace the 470k strapped across the second gain stage with a 100k or 47k resistor with a 470k or 1M pot in series.

Ok, I think that makes sense.
For clarity, the pedal will have less gain ability?....so you'd have to turn up the gain to achieve the same level pre-mod?!

Ummm, what if you wanted to attenuate the gate via an added control-knob?

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='1007722' date='Oct 31 2010, 07:34 PM']Ok, I think that makes sense.
For clarity, the pedal will have less gain ability?....so you'd have to turn up the gain to achieve the same level pre-mod?!

Ummm, what if you wanted to attenuate the gate via an added control-knob?

Si[/quote]

The original mod would also lower the gain, but via attenuation rather than feedback. It'll still have more than enough gain though it is a muff after all. Having the pot in series will allow you to control how gated it is aswell and if you use a 1M it'll make for a wider range of sounds!