Why become a member? ×

P.A. problems

bigash

At our gig on friday, we wired up the P.A. and on powering up
noticed that only one side was working, not even any hiss could
be heard. Changed speaker leads, no change. Then tried changing power lead
which blew circuit breaker, re-set it and tried new power lead again still nothing.
So we ended up using the damaged speaker as a bass bin in satalite mode off of
functioning speaker, worked fine.
Does anyone have any idea where to start looking for the problem.
Will it be on the xlr input.
p.s speakers are HK Aktors
Thanks in advance Ash.

[quote name='bigash' post='1007147' date='Oct 31 2010, 11:30 AM']So we ended up using the damaged speaker as a bass bin in satalite mode off of
functioning speaker, worked fine.[/quote]

That tells me your speakers are both OK.

What sort of setup do you have? Mixer amp/ powered mixer or separate mixer and power amp?

If it's the latter, check the patch cables between desk and amp, swap them over and see if the problem moves to the other speaker. If it does, the problem's in your patch cables.
If that makes no difference, swap the patch cables [b]at one end only [/b]and see if the problem moves. If it does, the problem's in your mixer, if not, it's your amp.

HTH

A

My advice to you would be check all the fuses plus the mains lead, as I can gather from your post the speaker is working so if it is not a fuse it needs to go in for repair, as to what it is I doubt if you will get an answer without someone qualified having a look.

I think the PA is active speakers so do the cabs fire up? If Yes check inputs with a mic or CD,MP3 player if no, check all the fuses plus the mains lead, as I can gather from your post the speaker is working so if it is not a fuse it needs to go in for repair, as to what it is I doubt if you will get an answer without someone qualified having a look.

[quote name='ironside1966' post='1009208' date='Nov 2 2010, 01:02 AM']My advice to you would be check all the fuses plus the mains lead, as I can gather from your post the speaker is working so if it is not a fuse it needs to go in for repair, as to what it is I doubt if you will get an answer without someone qualified having a look.

I think the PA is active speakers so do the cabs fire up? If Yes check inputs with a mic or CD,MP3 player if no, check all the fuses plus the mains lead, as I can gather from your post the speaker is working so if it is not a fuse it needs to go in for repair, as to what it is I doubt if you will get an answer without someone qualified having a look.[/quote]
yes it is a powered speaker. powered up ok, no sound, not even a hiss. swapped leads, still no sound, then swapped power cable this blew circuit-breaker. Re-set powered up ok again but still no sound. We then wired it up as a bass bin
from other speaker worked fine. I think it must be a problem with xlr input.

[quote name='Alien' date='Nov 1 2010, 11:12 PM' post='1009140']
That tells me your speakers are both OK.

What sort of setup do you have? Mixer amp/ powered mixer or separate mixer and power amp?

If it's the latter, check the patch cables between desk and amp, swap them over and see if the problem moves to the other speaker. If it does, the problem's in your patch cables.
If that makes no difference, swap the patch cables [b]at one end only [/b]and see if the problem moves. If it does, the problem's in your mixer, if not, it's your amp.

HTH

A
We have powered speakers, wired straight into desk. tried different cables, still dead and new power cables, still
no sound untill we used the speaker as a bass bin which requires the use of a different input, so i suspect the original input is where the fault is.

[quote name='ironside1966' post='1009218' date='Nov 2 2010, 01:26 AM']I would think it’s the amp as there is no sound from the speaker and if it was the input there should be a slight hum or hiss, unless the other speaker is silent without anything plugged in[/quote]

there is a slight hiss from the ok one. If it was the amp, surely there would be no sound when we wired it up as a bass bin either. but it worked ok then.

What do you mean by satellite mode?
Are all the speaker cones working? But it sounds like they are
If my memory is correct the Actors are 3 cabs a side, active bin, a passive bin and a mid top active box, I beleave the crossover for the subs is in the bin itself not 100% sure though.
Is the mid top cab ok without going through the Subs?
You could take the amps out and check for any loose connections and blown fuses anything other than that use a qualified engineer. It also could be the crossover.

Edited by ironside1966

[quote name='ironside1966' post='1009559' date='Nov 2 2010, 01:11 PM']What do you mean by satellite mode?
Are all the speaker cones working? But it sounds like they are
If my memory is correct the Actors are 3 cabs a side, active bin, a passive bin and a mid top active box, I beleave the crossover for the subs is in the bin itself not 100% sure though.
Is the mid top cab ok without going through the Subs?
You could take the amps out and check for any loose connections and blown fuses anything other than that use a qualified engineer. It also could be the crossover.[/quote]
I think i have caused some confusion here. What we where using is a pair of full range active speaker[see below].One of which did not work in normal full range mode.
But when linked to the other working full range speaker as you would if it were a bass bin worked o.k. although not full power as it was acting as a bass bin. I hope this
clears up any confusion.
Ash.

HK AUDIO ACTOR DX 112 A
HK Audio ACTOR DX 112 A, active Top 12" 1,4", 600 Watt amp-power, 80 - 19.000 Hz, 106 dB SPL (130 dB max.), internal controller, xlr in/out/through, 4x M10 flying points for opt. flying stud, 2 handles, pole mount, 29 Kg 39 cm x 65 cm x 42 cm

© 1997-2010 Musikhaus Thomann • Programming + Hosting: Netzmarkt GmbH & Co. KG, Erlangen