Why become a member? ×

My 'cheap' Vigier Passion....Help appreciated

thunderbass1

Can anyone help me find out more about my lovely black bass?
I bought it in London around 1985 I think and it was heavily discounted as being shop soiled (2 little dinks on the back of the lower horn) and 'only' passive.
I've only home recorded with it (normally I play fretless) and love the sound and feel when I need a versatile fretted sound.
The front pickup is in an odd place for a Passion, nearer the neck. Under the rear one it says 23'05'84. There is no obvious serial number visible.
Any more info would be hugely appreciated...

[quote name='thunderbass1' post='1006321' date='Oct 30 2010, 01:45 PM']Can anyone help me find out more about my lovely black bass?
I bought it in London around 1985 I think and it was heavily discounted as being shop soiled (2 little dinks on the back of the lower horn) and 'only' passive.
I've only home recorded with it (normally I play fretless) and love the sound and feel when I need a versatile fretted sound.
The front pickup is in an odd place for a Passion, nearer the neck. Under the rear one it says 23'05'84. There is no obvious serial number visible.
Any more info would be hugely appreciated...[/quote]

An fine bass guitar! Looks like an early model Passion, Series 1 which would have had a wooden thru neck - again, this might have been a one off as you mention its passive and has the same pickup spacing as the Arpege bass, very nice looking instrument! Ped might know more!

Very nice bass, looks clean, too. A friend had a similar bass and was told by Mr. Vigier that it was an early prototype of the current passion pickup layout with both pickups near the bridge. If you look carefully at the neck you should be able to see that the fingerboard is actually bonded to a brass laminate which runs underneath along the whole length of the neck - very unusual, but very stable and unique. Patrice Vigier said after working out how to bond these materials and get such a consistent sound that making a carbon neck was easy!

Cheers
ped

Just had this reply from Patrice Vigier, the horses mouth if ever there was...

"This is a rare bird , produced at the very beginning of the Passion bass. I cannot say how many we made with pickups this way, probably less than 10."

So that's me told! Many thanks for all help here, I may have to think about selling/trading some time so all your info will help.

Cheers!

Edited by thunderbass1

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='thunderbass1' post='1011253' date='Nov 3 2010, 07:32 PM']Just had this reply from Patrice Vigier, the horses mouth if ever there was...

"This is a rare bird , produced at the very beginning of the Passion bass. I cannot say how many we made with pickups this way, probably less than 10."

So that's me told! Many thanks for all help here, I may have to think about selling/trading some time so all your info will help.

Cheers![/quote]

Nice one! Patrice is a lovely guy! Do let me know if you ever want to sell.....

Nick

Hi Nick, You are right, the Vigier site gives you a nice warm feeling...great designs too.
As for selling, I really have no clear idea of the value of my bass, At the end of the day we all know it tends to be whatever someone is prepared to pay! At the moment I'm on a quest for THUD so I'm looking for a pretty (probably pre EB) Stingray. That's the kind of value/trade that would certainly prick up my ears but feel free to email me directly if you want to know more. I've more pictures etc.
I will probably be listing the bass here and on the Vigier site in a few weeks, I'm not sure about the rules of this forum with regard to selling outside the 'for sale' page so I hope this reply is OK...