Why become a member? ×

Cab Blown, hunting new replacement drivers

Ruck

Alas it finally happened, both drivers in my Epifani UL212 have gone...

So on the look out for some new 12" drivers. Been looking at Celestion, Eminence, Fane and B&C. I have contacted Bass Gallery in London for replacement Epifani (Eminence) drivers twice now but they have forgotten about me and I shouldn't have to call them a 3rd time...

So I'm asking for the advise of the experienced minds on this forum to see what would be the best option for me and the shell of the Epifani cab. I have tried testing one driver at a time to see if its just one of them that has blown but they both seem to be distorting badly... I trust Epifani Cabs are well built? considering the £700-£800 they are new!!! so I'm keen on the idea of repairing it rather than scraping or giving it away.

If it is worth it I might stretch to acouple of B&C drivers but I'm looking at £200 for each driver. Plus I don't want to just shove acouple of expensive replacements in if something in the cab is faulty other than the drivers and risk blowing the new drivers again.

I live near Colchester, Essex quite near the Suffolk border. If there are any Cabinet technicians out there not to far away from me Id gladly travel to get a professional analysis if anyone knows of anyone in that area.

Many Thanks.

Matt.

Edited by Ruck

Problem is all sorted now thanks to the amazing people at the Bass Merchants for isolating the problem to my bass and Martyn Booth to find out what it was and fix it! Turns out it was a short circuit in my bass as I have a pickup selector switch which I must have knocked mid way through a set and that had resulted in it rotating and connecting to something it shouldn't have.

Ended up replacing the drivers in my Epifani cab anyway as one of the drivers had developed a annoying buzz before the incident at the gig (this is why I assumed it was the drivers failing at the gig) So I now have a 600w at 8 Ohms 2x12! which suits me more as I can stack another 2x10 or 4x10 on top to add more presence at larger gigs.

All sorted and not much money spent! Thanks again all of those mentioned. I am utterly relieved...

Thanks for the recommendation anyway Markstuk.