Why become a member? ×

One-drop Reggae: 4/4 or 2/4?

OldGit

[quote name='chris_b' post='14133' date='Jun 8 2007, 12:40 PM']I also gig in a Reggae band, with a couple of Jamaican drummers. Their take on this question is: Why are you counting? Feel it![/quote]

I knew i was right to! :)

Si

[quote name='Davemarks' post='15357' date='Jun 10 2007, 11:46 PM']Can't believe I forgot to mention this - the term 'one drop' actually refers to the fact that there is one kick drum played in each bar. That would be the kick which falls each time on beat 3.[/quote]

Yeah, I know :)

So, we're agreed?

1. If you can 'feel' it, you won't be counting it.
2. If you can't 'feel' it, you have to count it.
3. If you have to count it, you count with the accent/drop/kick on the 3.
4. The reason you count it so that the accent is on the 3 is that we have passed a resolution on these bass forums declaring so.

[quote name='The Funk' post='18225' date='Jun 15 2007, 12:48 PM']So, we're agreed?

1. If you can 'feel' it, you won't be counting it.
2. If you can't 'feel' it, you have to count it.
3. If you have to count it, you count with the accent/drop/kick on the 3.
4. The reason you count it so that the accent is on the 3 is that we have passed a resolution on these bass forums declaring so.[/quote]

Ha ha
Yea man, We ruuule

[quote name='Davemarks' post='15357' date='Jun 10 2007, 11:46 PM']Can't believe I forgot to mention this - the term 'one drop' actually refers to the fact that there is one kick drum played in each bar. That would be the kick which falls each time on beat 3.[/quote]

Now that is interesting as I'd been led to believe it referred to the lack of bass note on beat 1. Your explanation makes much more sense!

Alex