Why become a member? ×

Attaching a pickguard

BASainty

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='979258' date='Oct 6 2010, 11:31 AM']I am going to be acquiring a Yamaha BB414, i love the look of them but i would love to attach a pickguard to it, like the BB414x.
Is it possible to attach one to a bass that hasnt been designed to have one fitted?[/quote]

Yes, it's possible. You'll need to obtain a suitable pickguard, screws, and you'll have to drill pilot holes in your bass in the appropriate places.

[quote name='neepheid' post='979272' date='Oct 6 2010, 11:44 AM']Yes, it's possible. You'll need to obtain a suitable pickguard, screws, and you'll have to drill pilot holes in your bass in the appropriate places.[/quote]

Ahh cool will it effect the way the bass plays/sounds or anything at all?

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='979312' date='Oct 6 2010, 12:38 PM']Ahh cool will it effect the way the bass plays/sounds or anything at all?[/quote]

no it shouldn't do.

another option if you would rather not drill permanent holes is to just use some double sided tape to stick it on. that way you can remove it and have it just like new.

[quote name='Colledge' post='979321' date='Oct 6 2010, 12:49 PM']no it shouldn't do.

another option if you would rather not drill permanent holes is to just use some double sided tape to stick it on. that way you can remove it and have it just like new.[/quote]

Oh wow i never thought of that!

How effective is that?

Like it wouldn't fall off in the middle of a gig or something? =P

i'm not sure how resistant to sweat it is... but when i was at school we used to use double sided tape to attach sheets of acrylic onto boards for the cnc machine... stuck like a bitch, definitely enough for a pick guard, especially onto a glossy painted surface like a bass.

edit: it will leave residue when take off though, need tar remover or something similar to get the stuff off.

Edited by Colledge