Why become a member? ×

ESP 400 jazz bass, and its weird tone control

fede162162

Hi guys.
I recently bought a wonderful ESP 400 Japanese jazz bass.

It play wonderfully etc, there's just one think I quite don't get: the control of tone.

It's not the tone control I'm used to.

It has a centered position,and yes, turning the pot does affect the sound, but in a strange way...

1) is that the original electronic, or is it a mod?

2) any of you knows how this particular control of tone work?

thank you!
Fede

I've had a 400 Series for almost 20 years now, what you have certainly isn't on my one, just a standard tone control in every way. Sounds like a mod to me.

Have you had a look at the pot, see if there's any extra electronic gadgetry there?

Oh, excellent choice of instrument, btw :)

I have an ESP 400 series Jazz and your problem is not standard. The controls should be just like any other Jazz with no centre indents.

By the way, amazing choice of bass. I have had one for 21 years and its the only bass I would never part with. By the way, please post some piccies as the model sent to Europe has a different head stock so it would be good to see what one you have.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='974143' date='Oct 1 2010, 03:09 PM']I've had a 400 Series for almost 20 years now[/quote]

[quote name='Linus27' post='974560' date='Oct 1 2010, 08:10 PM']I have had one for 21 years[/quote]
You just couldn't let it lie :)

I will poste some pictures soon, anyway mine has the fender-like headstock.

Then my tone control is a mod. Quite interesting though, but I think I'll bring it back to the standard, I'm just too used like that.

Great instrument, I had a Sadowsky before this ESP, the Sad is a wonderful axe, but it hasn't got the vintage grunt and vibe the ESP 400 has!

[quote name='fede162162' post='975463' date='Oct 2 2010, 10:03 PM']I will poste some pictures soon, anyway mine has the fender-like headstock.

Then my tone control is a mod. Quite interesting though, but I think I'll bring it back to the standard, I'm just too used like that.

Great instrument, I had a Sadowsky before this ESP, the Sad is a wonderful axe, but it hasn't got the vintage grunt and vibe the ESP 400 has![/quote]

Excellent, I really can't wait to see the pictures. If your one does have a headstock exactly like a Fender then you have one of the rarer ones that were only intended for the European and Japanese market. Mine also has this headstock and only two other people on here do also. I actually changed my pickups to Barts and it sounds incredible. My bass has seen a lot of action, gigs, tours, recording so its quiet roadworn but I will never part with it. Really look forward to seeing your pictures.

[quote name='fede162162' post='975463' date='Oct 2 2010, 10:03 PM']Great instrument, I had a Sadowsky before this ESP, the Sad is a wonderful axe, but it hasn't got the vintage grunt and vibe the ESP 400 has![/quote]

Same here. Every time I reached for a J bass, it was the ESP, so I moved the (albeit excellent) Sadowsky on.

Very nice and yes, you have the European headstock. From what I know, ESP at the time were making parts for Fender Japan so the neck could well had been used for a Fender or an ESP. Also, the bass is bassed on a 62 RI Fender and the neck is one of the thinest necks I have played.

I think would should start a club, it would be so exclusive that we could get all the benifits for ourselves :) :lol:

Nice! I've never seen another white one! I'm getting a little emotional here :)

The mint scratchplate really sets it off, much nicer effect than a plain white one. Regarding Fender Japan, I think the ESP headstock is a little thicker than any Fender I've played, USA or Japanese, also the curve on the underside of the head is slightly different to Fender, but very close otherwise.

I played an 800 series in a shop here, would have been 89 or 90, I had just started playing so wasn't really in a position to take it all in. What I remember of it was that it was ash bodied (I think), trans purple, gold hardware but otherwise not too different from the 400 I would buy a little later.

Edited by Doctor J

My go, here is a picture of mine. I bought it in 1989 from Nova Guitar centre in Guildford. It has done hundreds of gigs and so has a few battle scars. It was also used to record on an album. I changed the pickups to Barts which improved the sound and is now one of the nicest sounding basses I own. I am currently having a fretless neck made for it. I went this route as I did not want to de-fret the original neck as they are impossible to replace if something went wrong.

Edited by Linus27