Why become a member? ×

Midi Bass Effects/Modelling..

markstuk

Hi,

I'm looking at going down the MIDI controlled route for effects/modelling.. I have an ART X15 Ultrafoot MIDI controller which I use with my Motif so it seemed sensible to look at using this with a rack mounted Effects/Modelling unit.

I'm putting my toe in the water so have started looking at the obvious Behringer V-AMP pro and Line 6 POD XT pro (or maybe the X3 but that's a little pricey at the moment). I've seen relatively cheap units from ART and Alesis on the Bay but I would welcome input..

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

There's a lot out there these days as 'modelling' becomes a bigger deal. I think you've hit the obvious contenders - It sounds like you have a budget to work to and thus the likes of the AxeFX and Eleven by Avid design wont be on the shopping list! OUCH in the wallet!!

I've had a Behringer VAMP pro and I actually used it with an X-15 too!! Mine was the older version with the 80's colouring. Pink and green I think it was. It's a good unit to start with and they can be picked up for next to nothing. Maybe dip your toes in with that one and see how you get on.

I'm assuming you will be using modelling to record with or play through a PA?

Thanks,

Was planning to use it live either direct into my APM-1000 and/or DI'd into the PA....

Cheers

MArk

[quote name='dood' post='971638' date='Sep 29 2010, 12:46 PM']Hi Mark,

There's a lot out there these days as 'modelling' becomes a bigger deal. I think you've hit the obvious contenders - It sounds like you have a budget to work to and thus the likes of the AxeFX and Eleven by Avid design wont be on the shopping list! OUCH in the wallet!!

I've had a Behringer VAMP pro and I actually used it with an X-15 too!! Mine was the older version with the 80's colouring. Pink and green I think it was. It's a good unit to start with and they can be picked up for next to nothing. Maybe dip your toes in with that one and see how you get on.

I'm assuming you will be using modelling to record with or play through a PA?[/quote]

[quote name='markstuk' post='971689' date='Sep 29 2010, 01:33 PM']Thanks,

Was planning to use it live either direct into my APM-1000 and/or DI'd into the PA....

Cheers

MArk[/quote]

Yeah, that'll work fine as all the units I know of can be configured specifically for what they are being plugged in to.

What's your opinion of the Roland V-Bass? One's just come up on here - the first version (pedals on the floor) not the VB-99 table top one.. Our guitarist uses the current (guitar!) version and he gets some pretty good noises from it - and he dispenses completely with backline. Just runs through the PA and foldback..

[quote name='markstuk' post='974155' date='Oct 1 2010, 03:15 PM']What's your opinion of the Roland V-Bass? One's just come up on here - the first version (pedals on the floor) not the VB-99 table top one.. Our guitarist uses the current (guitar!) version and he gets some pretty good noises from it - and he dispenses completely with backline. Just runs through the PA and foldback..[/quote]

Paging PED, paging PED.. (who owns one) - I've only had a little bit of a play on one that was strapped to a gawd aweful bass, so I cant really comment - though I was really impressed with the sounds and the results I managed to get. I'd really love to try both models on a nice 6 string bass to explore the possibilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dood,

Can I pick your brains please? Got the X15 hooked up to V-AMP and mostly working fine given that ART/Yamaha's version of MIDI commands is different from Behringers :-) however the worst issue is that the Bypass button on the X15 sends Midi 84 which slams the Behringer into config mode which is not quite what I would like - I would prefer it to put the V-AMP into straight through mode... The ART manual is not clear on how you might change the Midi Control change from 84 to summat else - just that setting option 6 in the bypass button setup sends 84, without mentioning what options 1-5 might send differently... 84 is a real pain because it tends to clear the previous setup in the V-AMP...

Any ideas?

CHEers

Mark

[quote name='markstuk' post='983226' date='Oct 10 2010, 12:03 PM']Hi Dood,

Can I pick your brains please? Got the X15 hooked up to V-AMP and mostly working fine given that ART/Yamaha's version of MIDI commands is different from Behringers :-) however the worst issue is that the Bypass button on the X15 sends Midi 84 which slams the Behringer into config mode which is not quite what I would like - I would prefer it to put the V-AMP into straight through mode... The ART manual is not clear on how you might change the Midi Control change from 84 to summat else - just that setting option 6 in the bypass button setup sends 84, without mentioning what options 1-5 might send differently... 84 is a real pain because it tends to clear the previous setup in the V-AMP...

Any ideas?

CHEers

Mark[/quote]

Hi Mark - well, I know exactly what you mean and I certianly did do *something* to change the MIDI channel send myself....err.r..... it's just a case of what! I'm sorry to say the ole grey cells aren't what they used to be and I can't remember how to access and edit the board. Mine *may* have been a little different as I ended up buying the upgrade chip from ART too. I've been using a Roland FC-200 MIDI board for probably ten years or so now and the menu system on that is similarly convoluted! - Thankfully my TC effect rack has a 'learn' button - so I can config the effects unit instead. Would have been far easier to have the same function on the Behri' eh?!!

Sorry I can't be much more help but I am pretty certain I had the Bypass button doing something useful!

Thanks for the reply, I can't remember settings I made a year ago to stuff, let alone a decade ago... Once I get my hands on a USB/MIDI cable in a few days I'll see if I can edit MIDI stuff on the V-AMP and approach it from that end.. In some ways that would be preferable because I would not need to reprogram my Motif as well..

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='dood' post='984494' date='Oct 11 2010, 03:08 PM']Hi Mark - well, I know exactly what you mean and I certianly did do *something* to change the MIDI channel send myself....err.r..... it's just a case of what! I'm sorry to say the ole grey cells aren't what they used to be and I can't remember how to access and edit the board. Mine *may* have been a little different as I ended up buying the upgrade chip from ART too. I've been using a Roland FC-200 MIDI board for probably ten years or so now and the menu system on that is similarly convoluted! - Thankfully my TC effect rack has a 'learn' button - so I can config the effects unit instead. Would have been far easier to have the same function on the Behri' eh?!!

Sorry I can't be much more help but I am pretty certain I had the Bypass button doing something useful![/quote]

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='markstuk' post='984519' date='Oct 11 2010, 03:35 PM']Thanks for the reply, I can't remember settings I made a year ago to stuff, let alone a decade ago... Once I get my hands on a USB/MIDI cable in a few days I'll see if I can edit MIDI stuff on the V-AMP and approach it from that end.. In some ways that would be preferable because I would not need to reprogram my Motif as well..

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

Sure, sure I agree. - If it helps, I bought a cheap and cheerful USB>MIDI converter cable off ebay for my laptop - it was about a 5er and works a treat!