Why become a member? ×

Strings suggetions please

alhbass

Evening all.

Just after a quick bit of advice re choice of strings for my Jazz. I usually use D'Addario Chromes, La Bella flats or Rotosound Tru Bass nylon flats, cos I generally prefer those kind of "vintage - ish" sounds.

But I'm currently working on some fast, alt/funky stuff (inspired by Les Claypool type thing), with double thumbing and note-bending etc, which I'm sure would work better on some more flexible, lighter gauge strings.

Not looking to spend a fortune, and I'm guessing some roundwounds are what I need (though I really don't want an over-bright sound if I can avoid it). The last time I tried to buy strings for this purpose I took a guess and went for Custom Light La Bella Slappers, which turned out to be so thin it was like playing cheese wire, and, to my ears at least, very lacking in tonal depth. Yeah yeah, I realise that being used to Chromes and Nylon Flats etc as I am pretty much anything is going to feel a bit thin in comparison - but the Slappers were a mistake, so your recommendations would be very welcome. Thanks.

I swap back and forth between flats, tapewounds, and D'Addario Nickel Plated Roundwound, the sets that start at 040. Those are labelled 'bright' (versus 'super bright' for the pro steels).

I also avoid ultra-bright strings, so you might find those to your liking. They're light compared to flats, but not so light as to compromise the tone in the way you describe.

How would you compare (or contrast) labella flats and D'Addario Chromes by the way ? I'm guessing you find them in the same ball-park as you use them both ?

Andy