Why become a member? ×

Strange 'clicking' noise coming from cabinet?

sockdeluxe_mikey

Hi there Alex,

I've just bought an EBS Neo 1x12 and it is a really nice speaker. However, I've noticed that after about 1/3 master volume a weird slight vibration/clicking noise seems to happen. I've taken the grille off and it doesn't seem to be that vibrating and I've tried pressing down the screwed down edge of the driver, tweeter, handles, corners etc. and that doesn't seem to do anything. I haven't taken it out to rehearsal/gig yet, but it's the weird kind of noise that you probably wouldn't notice in the context of a gig but I can hear it playing at bedroom level.

The only things that I can seem to think of are a) the driver is breaking (which I would find really surprising, as the actual 'sound" and the power handling just don't seem to be affected at all) or :) there is something loose round the back of the speaker/knocking around near the port. It sounds like it's coming from the cone itself, but as you can appreciate it's extremely hard to differentiate as it's all coming from seemingly the same area. When I bought this used, I tested it fairly thoroughly and I did not hear this noise at all. All I'd like to know really is if the driver is okay as that's the only 'doomy' conclusion.

Any other thoughts on this? I'm probably going to get my girlfriend's studio technician to have a look and get him to confirm what the problem is (or even if there is a problem at all!?). I'm using a MarkBass SA450 through it, so power handling wise it is literally the exact right ratings (both 300 watts output/intput at 8ohms).

[quote name='Beedster' post='962112' date='Sep 20 2010, 01:07 PM']When that happened to me it was a staple from the insulation material that had come loose and attached itself to the magnet (still took me bloody hours to find it though).

Hope it's that simple for you mate

C[/quote]

This is exactly the kind of freak incident I've been thinking (and hoping) it is. It looks like a pretty simple cabinet to disassemble at least, so hopefully it won't take eons to find out what it is.

Cheers for your help!

Mike

[quote name='alexclaber' post='962118' date='Sep 20 2010, 01:14 PM']Staple suggestion is a good one! Alternatively could it be the internal speaker lead vibrating against the driver? Can you hear anything moving if you pick the cab up and give it a really good shake? Try turning it upside down or on its back and playing and seeing if the noise happens then.[/quote]

Bingo!!!

I took the crossover off at the back and wiggled the red/black speaker leads and it *seems* to be something related to the speaker wires. I don't have a great deal of wiggle range but it does seem to do something when the clicking gets a little less worse, so I'm almost certain now the speaker is fine (I really didn't see any reason why it wouldn't be). Phew! Now I'll get the technician to have a look and see what needs moving out of the way.

Cheers Alex!