Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliott GP12 SMX Bass Tube Studio Pre-amp

mr.sibs

I bought this off the bay a couple of months back, it has been working perfectly for me just as promised, but I need something smaller that I can cart to practise/gigs. Here is the blurb as I read it

This pre-amp owes me £80 which I would like to see returned!

[i]"There’s a little bit of a story here. It started life as a 600watt (I think) head and after several breakdowns the power section finally burned up completely. This is really rather common in these early Trace’s, the tone is second to none but the ouput stage reliability shocking. Anyway, after a bit of discussion I came to a plan and ripped out all the power stage rubbish and turned it into a 100% authentic studio pre-amp. It still weighs a ton from the massive transformer but oh my god the tone!!!

Features include a true high voltage tube preamp which is blendable with a solid state one. Powerful graphic EQ. Separate High and Low frequency compressors with blend. Effects loop and balanced XLR output.

I’ve had it for years now and cut loads of tracks with it but I’m downsizing so, sadly, it’s gotta go. Of all the things I’m selling letting this one go is really tough.

So just to clarify:
1) I have worked for years as a pro repair guy (not one of these two-bit ones who work in guitar shops and ruin peoples gear I add!) who has worked at many major studios including BBC ones so it’s 100% safe and totally reliable.

2) There is NO power amplifier from this and it will never drive a speaker without an additional amplifier, rack or otherwise!

3) As a studio pre-amp it is one of the best sounding things in the world!"[/i]

There you have it, I can definitely vouch for the tone on this thing, and the blend on the valve is heavenly to work with

This is pretty heavy, so I would prefer collection, but may be able to work out postage?

[attachment=59184:tracepre.jpg]

Edited by mr.sibs

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='961195' date='Sep 19 2010, 02:22 PM']Hi there mate

Just to clarify, could this still be used with a power amp and other rack units then put through a set of cabinets?
Also, do all the lights work on the front of the amp?

Cheers dude[/quote]

Yes definately, it will work just as any other pre-amp would, only the power stage has been removed. It has an xlr DI output, and a send/return with volume level

All the lights are fully operational (rings behind switches light up)

PM's replied!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='mr.sibs' post='961524' date='Sep 19 2010, 08:21 PM']I am sure tyron will agree when his arrives![/quote]

I hope so! Looking forward to its arrival, will let you know!

Anyone know where I can get replacement caps for the input & output knobs?

Edited by Tyron