Why become a member? ×

Overdriven Little Giant

Bankai

Hello.

Rather than using a seperate overdrive unit, I've been experimenting with doing it the old fashioned way.

By putting the input gain up on the little giant and fiddling the EQ I'm getting a very nice overdriven tone.

My question is though, will I cause damage to the preamp (or any other section) by overdriving it in this way?

I'm using a compressor in the FX loop between the preamp and power stages so there's no danger to that from loud volumes. I'm just worried it might cause internal damage elsewhere? Will the clipping/overdriving damage it?

Can't say for certain but with all solid state Amps I've had there's been a clip light. All this indicates is that you're clipping the peaks in the wave form, these peaks are totally lost. It doesn't mean you're damaging the amp, just letting you know that you're getting distortion because your input is too 'hot'. Whilst the clipping won't damage your amp it's worth remembering that most tranny amps aren't designed to run at full pelt for extended periods of time.