Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass truss rod and Allen keys

martindupras

I want to adjust the truss rod on my Jazz Bass. It's the kind that's adjusted with (I think) a 3/16" Allen key, at the body end of the neck.

I've adjusted truss rods at the headstock all my life but funnily enough never one on that side.

I would have thought it was straightforward, but I'm struggling a bit.

What do people usually do? Remove the pickguard? Do it with the pickguard on but with a short Allen Key? I have tens of Allen Keys around but none where the short leg is short enough to go in the hole in the pickguard, and anything longer doesn't get in the hole.

And I've been around shops today and it's getting difficult to get imperial measurement Allen keys.

Any advice?

- martin

[quote name='martindupras' post='957855' date='Sep 15 2010, 11:34 PM']I want to adjust the truss rod on my Jazz Bass. It's the kind that's adjusted with (I think) a 3/16" Allen key, at the body end of the neck.

I've adjusted truss rods at the headstock all my life but funnily enough never one on that side.

I would have thought it was straightforward, but I'm struggling a bit.

What do people usually do? Remove the pickguard? Do it with the pickguard on but with a short Allen Key? I have tens of Allen Keys around but none where the short leg is short enough to go in the hole in the pickguard, and anything longer doesn't get in the hole.

And I've been around shops today and it's getting difficult to get imperial measurement Allen keys.

Any advice?

- martin[/quote]

You need one of these - [url="http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-316-TShaped-Truss-Rod-Tool?sku=360804"]http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/pro...Tool?sku=360804[/url]

It's got a hex ball-end and goes in at a shallow angle so you can adjust without removing the pickguard.

[quote name='ikay' post='957975' date='Sep 16 2010, 08:16 AM']You need one of these - [url="http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-316-TShaped-Truss-Rod-Tool?sku=360804"]http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/pro...Tool?sku=360804[/url]

It's got a hex ball-end and goes in at a shallow angle so you can adjust without removing the pickguard.[/quote]

Ah, that makes sense now. Thanks for that.

- martin

Yes, its a 3/16 fit.
Current Fenders come with the tool ikay posted to, but you can also get allen key sets that have a normal flat end and a ball end at the other. I got a set frorm B&Q a couple of years ago.
These do help as you can normally do the adjustment without taking the pick guard off, although i believe its possible to damage the PG a bit if your not careful, ive not found this....yet.

If you cant get one your welcome to borrow my Fender one for a few weeks if it helps.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='958147' date='Sep 16 2010, 11:12 AM']Yes, its a 3/16 fit.
Current Fenders come with the tool ikay posted to, but you can also get allen key sets that have a normal flat end and a ball end at the other. I got a set frorm B&Q a couple of years ago.
These do help as you can normally do the adjustment without taking the pick guard off, although i believe its possible to damage the PG a bit if your not careful, ive not found this....yet.

If you cant get one your welcome to borrow my Fender one for a few weeks if it helps.[/quote]

Thanks, that's really useful. I'll swing by a few more DIY stores this afternoon and see what I can find. I'm sure I can find something suitable, but thanks for the offer!

- martin

[quote name='martindupras' post='958218' date='Sep 16 2010, 12:36 PM']Thanks, that's really useful. I'll swing by a few more DIY stores this afternoon and see what I can find. I'm sure I can find something suitable, but thanks for the offer!

- martin[/quote]

No problem and good luck. It should be pretty easy to find something.

Ive always done my own set ups but on my current bass (HW-one) i found i needed to take the PG off as i couldn't get a good grip in the nut with the Fender tool, so i needed to use the flat end of the Allen key anyway. This is the first time ive had to do this and it was because the nut was slightly stripped already (its brand new). No idea why or how this happened but i got Fender to send me a couple of spare TR nuts. It might be worth giving them a call as they might send you the correct tool if you ask nicely.

I've bought a full set of Allen keys today, and they wouldn't fit. Argh.

Eventually, I removed the pickguard, and found that one of the S-shaped Allen keys that I had already worked perfectly. At long last.

Incidentally, since I was in Halfords yesterday I got some feeler gauges, and I've used them to adjust the relief. I had always done my setups with just rulers and visual estimates before, but using the feeler gauges sped things up considerably. Not only that, but I feel that my setup is better and more precise and even than ever before. Certainly better (for my taste) than some of the setups I've had pros do for me in the past.

- martin

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='958241' date='Sep 16 2010, 01:02 PM']No problem and good luck. It should be pretty easy to find something.

Ive always done my own set ups but on my current bass (HW-one) i found i needed to take the PG off as i couldn't get a good grip in the nut with the Fender tool, so i needed to use the flat end of the Allen key anyway. This is the first time ive had to do this and it was because the nut was slightly stripped already (its brand new). No idea why or how this happened but i got Fender to send me a couple of spare TR nuts. It might be worth giving them a call as they might send you the correct tool if you ask nicely.[/quote]