Why become a member? ×

Effing Ebay..... sent me the wrong size tuners....

cameltoe

I wanted to solve neck dive on my Road Worn P bass, so I ordered some hipshot ultralites from the US.

Obviously there are a couple different sizes made, the biggest size hipshot make are 1/2", with 3/8 being the next size down. I knew that one of these sizes was a direct fender replacement, so I checked my tuners and the peg looked to be around 1/2".

I ended up ordering some that were advertised as a direct replacement for Fender J/P basses.

They're too small! Exactly 1/2" peg, whereas on reflection mine are a bit wider. just a slight touch bigger, like 11.5mm to 13mm.

Being a Road Worn, and hence using vintage-style hardware, would the tuners be a vintage size, which (possibly) were slightly bigger than modern P bass tuner sizes? The standard ones on my bass are reverse tuners.

Or have Fender basses always used them same size tuners? If so, I can give them a hard time about it and try and get my money back.

If not, does anybody want to buy some 1/2" Ultralites? :)

Edited by cameltoe

[quote name='cameltoe' post='953208' date='Sep 11 2010, 10:10 PM']I wanted to solve neck dive on my Road Worn P bass, so I ordered some hipshot ultralites from the US.

Obviously there are a couple different sizes made, the biggest size hipshot make are 1/2", with 3/8 being the next size down. I knew that one of these sizes was a direct fender replacement, so I checked my tuners and the peg looked to be around 1/2".

I ended up ordering some that were advertised as a direct replacement for Fender J/P basses.

They're too small! Exactly 1/2" peg, whereas on reflection mine are a bit wider. just a slight touch bigger, like 11.5mm to 13mm.

Being a Road Worn, and hence using vintage-style hardware, would the tuners be a vintage size, which (possibly) were slightly bigger than modern P bass tuner sizes? The standard ones on my bass are reverse tuners.

Or have Fender basses always used them same size tuners? If so, I can give them a hard time about it and try and get my money back.

If not, does anybody want to buy some 1/2" Ultralites? :)[/quote]

As far as I understand it, Fender bass tuning peg holes are 11/16" but nonetheless the 1/2" ultralites are the ones that're supposed to be used...and no, why they don't make them the right size makes no sense to me either :S

Out of interest how much were they?

I've got a feeling from vague bits and pieces I read online that 'Vintage' tuners are slightly bigger than modern. I've got a CV Squier, (currently being set up.....taking ages!) that I'll try the hipshot's on and see how good a fit they are on there.

I've just ordered some Gotoh gbr640, which although aren't quite as light as the hipshots(not far off), should (by looking at their measurements) be indentical to the standard ones in my Road Worn.

The hipshot ultralites were/are used on the most recent Fender Deluxe basses, so I think they must fit properly in modern series basses. There's too much play in my bass though, the sleeves are not tight in the headstock hole, they'll never stay in tune.

Both sets were around $100 with $17 shipping. About £80 all in.

[quote name='cameltoe' post='954790' date='Sep 13 2010, 02:22 PM']I've got a feeling from vague bits and pieces I read online that 'Vintage' tuners are slightly bigger than modern. I've got a CV Squier, (currently being set up.....taking ages!) that I'll try the hipshot's on and see how good a fit they are on there.

I've just ordered some Gotoh gbr640, which although aren't quite as light as the hipshots(not far off), should (by looking at their measurements) be indentical to the standard ones in my Road Worn.

The hipshot ultralites were/are used on the most recent Fender Deluxe basses, so I think they must fit properly in modern series basses. There's too much play in my bass though, the sleeves are not tight in the headstock hole, they'll never stay in tune.

Both sets were around $100 with $17 shipping. About £80 all in.[/quote]

cameltoe, I've installed 1/2" Hipshot ultralites in my Squier VMJ fretless and although the holes are slightly too large it's an easy fix. Just cut out a strip of business card (enough to wrap once around the sleeve) and that will pad it out enough to be a snug fit. Worked fine for me. Ian