Why become a member? ×

I think its time for some new preamp valves

Colledge

i'm using a trace v-type amp and loving it.

The valves that are in there at the moment are stamped "TE trace elliot hand picked and matched" and i presume these are the originals that came off the production line in may '96.

i'm a complete valve noob and know nothing about what a new set can change about the amp.
there isnt anything wrong with the valves in there (a duet of 12ax7a's) but i'm wondering if there is anything to gain from an upgraded set.
if anything, i'd like a bit of extra top end bite in my sound as i seem to be running the treble at max alot of the time.

so my question is what gains (pun intended) can i get from various types of valves and what should i go for?
the amp apparently has a fender tone stack if thats helpful.

I replaced mine GP12-X valve with a EHX 12AX7. The original valve was still fine but the EHX brought a warmer, clearer and more balanced sound. I advise you to try a few of them and go for the one you like best.
Examples:
EHX
Mullard
Groove Tubes
Sovteck

And i'm lacking a lot more but somebody else will pick up from here and give a better insight on each. For the price they are selling you can get the top three from your research and have them a go.

I very much doubt that there is anything wrong with the original valves as at that age, they are hardly worn. The only way to try for a different sound is to experiment and that can get expensive. As a first step I would just look at replacing V1, the input valve as that is where all the work is done.

The Fender Tone Stack is completely passive and allows bass and treble boost and mid cut. Flat Response is with Bass and Treble at about 9 O'Clock and Mid at 3 O'Clock. If you are lacking in treble then maybe you should also look elsewhere for the problem.

The original TE valves are just cooking chinese rubbish, you need to find some NOS or good used Mullard, Telefunken, Brimar, GE or Mazda, Mullards and Telefunken are expensive but well worth it.
There are no valves manufactured today that will even come close to the above, PERIOD.

With these valves you will notice that the sound becomes less harsh and brittle, it will have a smooth warm edge, but your sound stage will be the whole spectrum and full of life, that can be quite different at first, stick with it for half an hour and then put the originals back in, it won't be long before you bin them.

The lack of treble could mean something else or the TE's are possibly funked.