Why become a member? ×

Aria SB-R60 set up advice needed

iconic

My beautiful Aria SB-R60 arrived today, lovely bit of old kit in wonderful condition for an 1982 bass all bar a quick clean but.....the action is higher than a 60's hippy at Woodstock and I like an action lower than a snakes belly in a rut.

Allegedly been recently set by a 'professional guitar maker' :) :rolleyes:

I'm guessing the trussrod adjustment is under the nameplate on the headstock, FYI gap under E string when 1st and last fret held is about 2mm though if that's important....could be string heights at the bridge...dunno never had to do more than tweak on a trussrod.

....any set up tips and hints on this old Aria most welcome gentlemen, a lady bird guide from 1st stage to last would be great!

many thanks

Edited by iconic

Nice!

Aria's of that period set up nicely.

Full job would be to take the strings off, oil the board and polish the frets.
General clean up, sqirt of switch cleaner (not WD40) if required - leave alone
if pots are quiet.
TR cover off and key ready.
Next thing is optional but I generally always do it - put a slight "back bend" using
a straight piece of box section ( I can explain more fully if required) and back the
adjuster off a quarter turn and then, if it is as far out as you say, perhaps pick up the
quarter turn and then add 3/4 more. put the old strings on - tune and leave for a while.
Sight down the neck and you are looking for a very slight bend.
If so, great - if still too much back off the strings and add another 1/4 - tune and check
When you are happy with that, you can adjust the bridge to get a base setting.
New strings, check the action, then set the intonation with a tuner - too sharp at the 12th
saddle back, too flat, saddle forward.
My Aria basses are set to around 2.3 to 2.5 at the twelfth and play like a racing snake.

Great Basses, I've got one but perhaps a little more "well used" than yours seems to be.

Good luck. :)

[quote name='FlatEric' post='941699' date='Sep 1 2010, 08:28 AM']Nice!

Aria's of that period set up nicely.

Full job would be to take the strings off, oil the board and polish the frets.
General clean up, sqirt of switch cleaner (not WD40) if required - leave alone
if pots are quiet.
TR cover off and key ready.
Next thing is optional but I generally always do it - put a slight "back bend" using
a straight piece of box section ( I can explain more fully if required) and back the
adjuster off a quarter turn and then, if it is as far out as you say, perhaps pick up the
quarter turn and then add 3/4 more. put the old strings on - tune and leave for a while.
Sight down the neck and you are looking for a very slight bend.
If so, great - if still too much back off the strings and add another 1/4 - tune and check
When you are happy with that, you can adjust the bridge to get a base setting.
New strings, check the action, then set the intonation with a tuner - too sharp at the 12th
saddle back, too flat, saddle forward.
My Aria basses are set to around 2.3 to 2.5 at the twelfth and play like a racing snake.

Great Basses, I've got one but perhaps a little more "well used" than yours seems to be.

Good luck. :)[/quote]

wow, what a great site this is! Many thanks for that eric, everything I need :rolleyes: :lol: :o