Why become a member? ×

First Bass and need advice

synthetic

Just thought I'd drop in and say thanks for the help that was given on here. I bought the Warwick Fortress this weekend just gone that was for sale in the FS section. Going to drop it off at the weekend to get it set up properly.

Funnily enough after what hilbilly deluxe posted :) I heard a demo of the Squier CV jazz bass and thought it sounded nice. As I'm very new to bass guitar, would that give me quite a different tone than the fortress? My playing, if you can even call it that haha, obviously isn't bringing out the best of the instrument to bring it to life to be able to judge just yet.

This is the demo I saw when he plays slap [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U"]4.53 and 6.20 mins[/url]

Obviously would be a future guitar as I want to be competent with what I have to a good standard first but, nice to know if that would compliment it.

Also, while I'm bombarding with questions :)

The previous owner had put new strings on just before selling, think he said they were D'Addario. He mentioned they were thicker than the original strings the warwick came with. Would it be best to find out the strings warwick put on as standard or are the D'addarios a good brand to leave on? This is bearing in mind I'm paying to have it setup at the weekend.

[quote name='synthetic' post='949703' date='Sep 8 2010, 06:11 PM']Also, while I'm bombarding with questions :)

The previous owner had put new strings on just before selling, think he said they were D'Addario. He mentioned they were thicker than the original strings the warwick came with. Would it be best to find out the strings warwick put on as standard or are the D'addarios a good brand to leave on? This is bearing in mind I'm paying to have it setup at the weekend.[/quote]

new strings, you'll be fine.

warwick would probably put warwick strings.

[quote name='synthetic' post='941330' date='Aug 31 2010, 08:13 PM']Hi, new to the site and although I make music (synth based) am about to purchase my first bass guitar. Have been looking at various makes and models but as I don't already play it's hard to know what may be weak or strong points of them.[/quote]

If you are just starting out, then I would not get to bogged down with the pros and cons of every bass over every style you wish to play, anything based on a std P or J will be a good starter

This forum will inform you of every tech spec for every pickup, neck shape, bridge, string make etc, etc if you ask the question, and whilst that is so fantastic, the minus is the experience of just being happy with your first bass, not knowing its limitations and just getting on with learning to play and enjoying that