Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 Red Ripper

The Sentry

Hi!

I've been interested in this as well, not heard any clips or anything yet though, so I guess I've just been waiting for that. Big fan of Tech 21's pedals in general though. What else is it that you've tried that it's so different from?

Also, Kent, nice one :)

[quote name='cm261' post='938485' date='Aug 27 2010, 10:41 PM']Hi!

I've been interested in this as well, not heard any clips or anything yet though, so I guess I've just been waiting for that. Big fan of Tech 21's pedals in general though. What else is it that you've tried that it's so different from?

Also, Kent, nice one :)[/quote]

Yay for youtube :rolleyes:

That youtube clip was all I'd heard when I bought the pedal. I must admit I was'nt too impressed with the sound in the clip but pulled the trigger and bought it cos it I'd read up on its capabilities, have much respect for Tech 21 and it looks cool!

I've used a few distortion/fuzz pedals in the past - Big Muff, B:Assmaster, ODB-3, Tubescreamer and maybe one or two that I'm forgetting. What makes it unique is the R.I.P control - with it off you have yourself a fairly typical overdrive/distortion pedal (think driven tube amp style distortion) the R.I.P adds weird synth/fuzz to the tone the more its increased, with both drive and R.I.P maxed its in the same tone category as the Mylekko B:Assmaster. I've only had it two days so am still finding my way around it but its lots of fun!

If I can get my recording equipment working I could maybe put some clips up?

it's both a subtle and a brutal beast.

it's an o.d. & all the way to a fuzz with an envelope. :rolleyes:

like the v.t. it can respond to 'digging in' if you set it up correctly, but even if you don't it can still sound good !

but you need to be careful with your bass e.q. aswell, as its' output responds to your input..

sounds awesome in a subtle (responsive) mode with octaver in front and another boost or fuzz on the end. Synthtastic :)

lot's of possibilities with this one.. interesting. i like.

(i used an octamizer>ripper(rip@12o'cl,drive@2o'cl)>mxr blowtorch or source audio mwbs - all sounded massive)

Edited by phil.i.stein

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jan82yPkbLg"]Sherman[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TbwWb1RjrY"]Sherman 2[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z9zFB-CqOo&feature=related"]Sherman 3[/url]

This will give you a ton of tweakability from slight overdrive to extreme speaker crushing sound. Multimode filters, LFO's, Ring AM modulation, Harmonics, mix between dry and processed signal. Probably get one second hand for the same price as the Tech 21.

Edited by synthetic