Why become a member? ×

Recital piece?

Captain_Dan

Hi guys,

I'm studying Music at Uni and I need to perform a piece which is roughly 5mins long. I'm allowed to play to a backing CD, but can't think of anything particularly suitable! For example, I wanted to do Runaway by Jamiroquai, but they have no backing CDs around... I've been playing for around 8 years now so I'm a reasonable standard.

Anyone got any bright ideas or song books with backing CDs they have that'd be suitable?

Cheers,

Dan

Im in the same position,for an audition...

problem is,on what..do I play safe,or break out the beast? And go all chordial-Tapola to forfill a stereotype. And then what do I do,some easy 'moody' piece,or all smash and flash (I would rather not do the latter).

school days is a good piece!
its got rock/jazz harmony roots.
slap, harmonics, bends and chords, all pose a big challenge and if mastered look and sound good!
you can just stick the blues minor/major ideas and its not going to sound pants!
dont do a piece which is centre around one techique or idea!
if you can mix it up then people will understand your a good alround player!
if school days is too much, try anything by stevie wonder.
do i do is a great bassline, so is masterblaster. give me a shout and i can send you the lead sheets if you need them!

i think the point i'm trying to make is:
play something familar to the listener but make it your own! use it as a tool to express your own playing!
every bass player will play teen town slightly different!!!! some make it work some dont!!

Edited by Johnzy

Cheers guys!

Im thinking of going for Do I Do by Stevie - pretty cool track! Only issue is that I cant find a backing track... The Head of Performance seems quite insistent that I dont just play along with the original track (though personally I think he should be able to easily distinguish between me and a CD) so some kind of backing is needed :) Is there any similar artists with bass books available with CDs? This is such an annoying assignment!! :huh: