Why become a member? ×

Sandberg PM4 / JM4 owners...

GazWills

hi,

i tried a couple of sandbergs (JM4 and PM4) in a shop the other day. they both look and play fantastically, but i couldn't quite work out what the controls were actually doing, so probably wasn't getting the full range of tones out of them!!!

i'd be very grateful if somebody who owns one of these could let me know what the 4 knobs are actually doing, RE active/passive, different pickups, etc, so i can go try them again!!

cheers, and sorry for the dumb question!!

JM4 controls are...
Volume, with pull up for passive
Pick up pan pot
Bass
Treble
There should be a micro switch on the control plate which is a coil tap(?). I just leave it on!!!

In passive mode i think the eq is bypassed, but don't quote me. I tend not to use the passive bit...... :)

Edited for spelling...

Edited by yorick

[quote name='yorick' post='935896' date='Aug 25 2010, 01:10 PM']JM4 controls are...
Volume, with pull up for passive
Pick up pan pot
Bass
Treble
There should be a micro switch on the control plate which is a coil tap(?). I just leave it on!!!

In passive mode i think the eq is bypassed, but don't quote me. I tend not to use the passive bit...... :)

Edited for spelling...[/quote]

thanks - i wondered why i couldn't get any passive sounding sounds out of it - didn't try lifting any of the pots!!!!

on the JM4 the coil tap switch turns the back pick up from single coil (i.e. Jazz pup) to humbucking dual coil (i.e. MM pup)

I agree that these don't quite nail the MM 'Ray sound; but they are close enough to do the job.
these basses are very flexible for sound and always sound great in any setting.
I actually run mine passive most of the time and just go active if slapping or palm muting the strings.

the JM4 does cop very good Jazz sounds in all the different configurations single coil you might like.

i agree with you too they play unbelievably well. I couldn't resist the GAS inducing quality of these instruments.
you may still be able to get an interest-free 10mth Arts Council loan, which is how I paid for mine from Electro Music in Doncaster.

Also the tone controls only boost above the detent in active mode.
in passive mode there is no change above the detent, i.e. cut only below the detent.

Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='936179' date='Aug 25 2010, 05:36 PM']on the JM4 the coil tap switch turns the back pick up from single coil (i.e. Jazz pup) to humbucking dual coil (i.e. MM pup)

I agree that these don't quite nail the MM 'Ray sound; but they are close enough to do the job.
these basses are very flexible for sound and always sound great in any setting.
I actually run mine passive most of the time and just go active if slapping or palm muting the strings.

the JM4 does cop very good Jazz sounds in all the different configurations single coil you might like.

i agree with you too they play unbelievably well. I couldn't resist the GAS inducing quality of these instruments.
you may still be able to get an interest-free 10mth Arts Council loan, which is how I paid for mine from Electro Music in Doncaster.

Also the tone controls only boost above the detent in active mode.
in passive mode there is no change above the detent, i.e. cut only below the detent.[/quote]
i'm alway anxious about these 'pull up pots' for selecting modes, is it pretty sturdy once in passive, not likely to be knocked back down into active when playing (just thinking about live - i currently switch between a P and a ray, if i can use one bass it'll be much easier!!)

cheers

[quote name='GazWills' post='936214' date='Aug 25 2010, 06:13 PM']i'm alway anxious about these 'pull up pots' for selecting modes, is it pretty sturdy once in passive, not likely to be knocked back down into active when playing (just thinking about live - i currently switch between a P and a ray, if i can use one bass it'll be much easier!!)

cheers[/quote]

yeah they're reliable enough, i've not yet knocked mine into active by mistake.
i got mine precisely because i didn't want to keep switching basses - i find this one covers all requirements with ease.