Why become a member? ×

SVT3 vs SVT7

MatthewKeys

The 3PRO has a 5 valve pre and a better, more flexible EQ. It's "old fashioned" technology but inspite of that has been Ampeg's best selling amp for decades. The 7PRO has a 1 valve pre, a digital power section and has less EQ.

I haven't a clue how they match up sonically. The 3PRO might sound better but won't be as loud but Ampeg is pretty good at getting the "company sound" out of most their products.

Without listening to them first it seems to me that the main difference is the EQ, weight, power and price. You've got to hear them before you decide.

[quote name='chris_b' post='935768' date='Aug 25 2010, 11:13 AM']The 3PRO has a 5 valve pre and a better, more flexible EQ. It's "old fashioned" technology but inspite of that has been Ampeg's best selling amp for decades. The 7PRO has a 1 valve pre, a digital power section and has less EQ.

I haven't a clue how they match up sonically. The 3PRO might sound better but won't be as loud but Ampeg is pretty good at getting the "company sound" out of most their products.

Without listening to them first it seems to me that the main difference is the EQ, weight, power and price. You've got to hear them before you decide.[/quote]

i've played them side by side about 6 times now because i'm in the USA at the moment and there are plenty of guitar centers. But seeing as this is my first valve amp I don't really know what to expect so I thought i'd get advice from the more experienced pllayers.

Also, how often do you have to change the valves in the SVT3? That's another thing i'm abit bothered out.

Thanks!

If you're buying in the US (I'm assuming that you live in the UK?) you'd better check that any equipment you buy can be easily converted to 240 volts from the US's 110 volts.

Also you won't have a valid guarantee in the UK if anything goes wrong.

If you can I'd seriously suggest that you check out a Thunderfunk 550B or 750A, if you can find one. They are dead cheap in the US and really are worth a listen. In fact bring a vgc 750 back and I'll probably buy it off you.

[quote name='chris_b' post='936111' date='Aug 25 2010, 04:16 PM']If you're buying in the US (I'm assuming that you live in the UK?) you'd better check that any equipment you buy can be easily converted to 240 volts from the US's 110 volts.

Also you won't have a valid guarantee in the UK if anything goes wrong.

If you can I'd seriously suggest that you check out a Thunderfunk 550B or 750A, if you can find one. They are dead cheap in the US and really are worth a listen. In fact bring a vgc 750 back and I'll probably buy it off you.[/quote]

ah i'm back in the UK now, just got back today. There was nothing out there that would be worth buying unfortunately. :)