Why become a member? ×

DIY trace bright box-esque options?

Colledge

Well its summer holidays and i have alot of spare time and a bit of cash to spend.
My rig at the moment is a trace v-type combo and i love the punch it gives out but i can't help but miss a bit of the clarity that my previous 10s gave out. I'm thinking of making myself a sort of bright box but not so extreme, something with a few 6"s or 8"s that can still do the full range but will just give me that little extra bite and help me cut through more.

I'd design the cab to fit nicely under the combo and be nice and transportable. It has to be 8ohms so i'm looking at a couple of 16 or 4 ohms or 4 x 8ohms, i think three drivers would be better, but that would mess up my impedences.

are there any recommendations regarding speaker types or configurations? or any other advice?

I'm pretty handy with a jigsaw so the actual build won't be a problem.

cheers.

[quote name='Colledge' post='920882' date='Aug 10 2010, 06:48 PM']Well its summer holidays and i have alot of spare time and a bit of cash to spend.
My rig at the moment is a trace v-type combo and i love the punch it gives out but i can't help but miss a bit of the clarity that my previous 10s gave out. I'm thinking of making myself a sort of bright box but not so extreme, something with a few 6"s or 8"s that can still do the full range but will just give me that little extra bite and help me cut through more.

I'd design the cab to fit nicely under the combo and be nice and transportable. It has to be 8ohms so i'm looking at a couple of 16 or 4 ohms or 4 x 8ohms, i think three drivers would be better, but that would mess up my impedences.

are there any recommendations regarding speaker types or configurations? or any other advice?

I'm pretty handy with a jigsaw so the actual build won't be a problem.

cheers.[/quote]
could do similar to original one but use 18sound 6nd410 drivers, i'd recomend using just two or one and a tweeter and high passing it. It'll certainly add some bite to your sound!

Also would recomend not putting it underneath your combo and also arrange the speaker vertically.

Edited by umph

thanks for the suggestions. i completely forgot about the fearful stuff.
i think the trace bright box was a bit of a bad example, i'm not after a super bright sound, more of a reinforcement in the mids / upper mids that a smaller driver gives. phil jones stuff is a more apt example, or even the 4x6 matamp cab in the fs section, but also idealy so i can stack it with my combo.... i'd just get a decent lightweight cab... but i don't have room for a fullsize cab and smaller ones won't stack well with the trace. i have a couple of 16ohm 10" ashdown cabs that sound great, but they're too shallow and anything other than a stack will just take up too much space onstage, the drummer is a Neil Peart wannabe so space is at a premium.

Edited by Colledge