Why become a member? ×

Quality Laminated Basses

henry norton

I've only ever played Eastern European budget carved tops or cheap Chinese laminated DBs. The sound and playing quality seemed to have as much to do with the setup and strings as the construction which has got me wondering. Has anyone had experience of the more expensive end of the laminated spectrum, like the Upton Bass laminated models or the 'legendary' 1950s Kay and Epiphone laminated DBs. Is a really good laminated bass worth buying over a 'budget' carved?

Absolutely. Check out Daf Lewis on this site. He's selling an old Boosey & Hawkes plywood back when they were built like tanks. I think he's asking around £1000 but it'll sound better than most of the pine Chinese stuff out there and will take a hammering - (humidity and playing wise).

[quote name='Damo200' post='923061' date='Aug 12 2010, 07:57 PM']Absolutely. Check out Daf Lewis on this site. He's selling an old Boosey & Hawkes plywood back when they were built like tanks. I think he's asking around £1000 but it'll sound better than most of the pine Chinese stuff out there and will take a hammering - (humidity and playing wise).[/quote]
Thanks! I didn't know Boosey & Hawkes made DBs

Oh yes. They were originally just Hawkes of which the 'Hawkes' instruments are now worth as much as £25,000 +

Just be careful of buying new shiny 'bluegrass' instruments, laminate or otherwise, particularly if you want to use a bow. Double basses are temperamental so get the best you possibly can and preferably from other experienced players.