Why become a member? ×

Blimey, that was hard work

Mykesbass

So, after years of trying to get something going musically since moving down to Sussex, I've got myself into a very busy RnR/Blues/Country band - 6 gigs August, 7 September, NYE booked - what happens on the second gig? - my scarcely used but 6 year old Yamaha BB500H just stops working. Bad news back from the tech, so, no time for online so I thought a quick trip to GAK would get me sorted. Excellent service, lots of good advice, but nothing less than an Orange Bass Terror at £469. All the cheapies out o fstock - shame 'cause the GK Backline 600H at about £230 looked great. So this morning, up at the crack of dawn, off to London - BaAss Cellar friendly and welcoming, but only an Ashdown MAG300 and the tiny Ashdowns that don't get a great reliability rating on here. None of the other Denmark Street shops stock any bass gear - they all say try Bass Cellar - great competition that!! Fianlly, off to The Gallery, and ended up, again after some good advice, with a Hartke which, despite being 250 watts was certainly extremely loud and made some nice sounds.

Do we bass players spend so much time buying and swapping gear with each other that it isn't worth the shop's time to stock any bass kit?

Oh well, semi rant over, better get ready for tonight's gig in Horsham.