Why become a member? ×

TONIGHT! And Thursday in West Midlands and Grimsby

Mikey D

Tonight I will be playings as part of an 8 Piece Pop/R&B/Dance covers band at the Yardbird in Central Birmingham. The hits of EWF, MJ, Jamiroquai, Beyonce, R Kelly(!!) etc will be played. Think its £2 entry.

On Thursday 13th December, 2007 7.45 pm I will be playing in support for two British Giants on jazz guitar.

[quote]Jim Mullen with The Pat McCarthy Band
+ support act The Jimmy Brewer Trio
One of the most eagerly awaited gigs of 2007 is our December concert by the Jim Mullen/Pat McCarthy Band. The main reason Grimsby Jazz came into being was to hear more of Pats wonderful guitar playing. He has never been less than great with his own band and an awesome accompanist of visiting stars. Now he meets the challenge of locking frets with one of his own favourites, Jim Mullen.

It is an interesting contrast in styles. Pat comes from the traditional background of Django Rheinhart, Charlie Christian, Barney Kessel, which is supported by a brilliant technique. Jim Mullen comes from a blues style which he has transferred to his modern jazz playing. Using his thumb instead of a pick gives him a warm glowing sound which will contrast wonderfully against Pat’s pick technique. Both men are wonderful improvisers with great swing.

To balance out the two guitars we have put in a multi-instrumentalist on piano/ alto sax/ and accordion, Piero Tucci. He has appeared at the club twice before and played brilliantly.
On bass will be Zoltan Dekany who will not be put in the shade by the stars in front of him and will give his usual master class in the art of jazz bass playing.
To complete the line-up another local boy done good John Perry, who is now drummer with many groups on the jazz scene.

The Jimmy Brewer Trio
We also take this opportunity to showcase the talents of another young guitarist, Jimmy Brewer who, to quote Pat McCarthy “is without doubt one of the most promising guitarists I’ve ever heard”. A former student of local legend Pat McCarthy, he is currently studying jazz guitar at Birmingham Conservatoire. His trio consists of Jimmy on guitar with Mike Doherty on bass and Lydia Glanville on drums.
So don’t forget to come early as the evening starts at 7.45pm

Tickets £10 in advance £12 on the door[/quote]

Come see some amazing bass playing on the thursday, Zoltan will be on in the main set, it'll be just after my jazz fumblings.

Edited by Mikey D