Why become a member? ×

Buzz from the E String on a Fretless Bass

Jacob Kobryn

I put some new Rotowound strings on my fretless bass (squire vintage modified jazz) a few days ago. They sound, feel, and look EXCELLENT... but there is one problem, that I was hoping you could help me with. On the E string, it keeps rattling, instead of a nice clean tone. It is only the E that I have this problem for. I thought it may have been hitting the fretboard near the headstock, but it continues to rattle even on the mid\higher frets as well. It could perhaps be a problem with the string pot (I think it's called?) or the bridge. Either way, do you know how I could fix it?

Thank you,
Jake

[quote name='Jacob Kobryn' post='914439' date='Aug 3 2010, 11:23 PM']I put some new Rotowound strings on my fretless bass (squire vintage modified jazz) a few days ago. They sound, feel, and look EXCELLENT... but there is one problem, that I was hoping you could help me with. On the E string, it keeps rattling, instead of a nice clean tone. It is only the E that I have this problem for. I thought it may have been hitting the fretboard near the headstock, but it continues to rattle even on the mid\higher frets as well. It could perhaps be a problem with the string pot (I think it's called?) or the bridge. Either way, do you know how I could fix it?

Thank you,
Jake[/quote]

Your bass almost certainly just needs a proper set up. If you have changed strings it's always a possibility that the neck truss rod needs a bit of a tweak. There's tons of online resources for how to do it (Google will know). This assumes it is a "rattle". There's a remote chance it could be a worn nut but that's more of a higher pitched buzz. Certainly start with the basic set-up to eliminate that.

Edited by thepurpleblob