Why become a member? ×

How to wire up a rig - More Help Needed

NJE

Hello,

I am having a bit of a mental overload trying to work out how I would wire up two Aguilar GS112 cabinets with my Eden WTX260.

The Eden has one Speakon and two 1/4" Jack speaker outputs and the Aguilars have one Speakon and two 1/4" jacks on their back panel, but I have no idea what will be the best way to connect it all up. My head runs most powerful at 4ohms and I know that in theory, two 8 ohm cabs together should give me 4 ohm load, but how will I know that my head is actually 'seeing' 4 ohms?

Can I daisychain them, so: Speakon from head to jack on cab one, then speakon from cab one to Jack on cab 2? Will this make my amp run at 4 ohm?

[color="#8B0000"]EDIT: I posted the above questions and got some good advice from the gentlemen below so I know kind of how I will set things up so nothing explodes. However I still have a couple more really stupid questions I cannot find answers to.

1. If I use the Jack outputs from the head to go to the cabs, do I have to use both of them or can I use just one Jack and one Speakon? Will this still be in paralell?
2. Does it matter which of the two Jack sockets I use on the back of the cabs to go in from the head and out to another cab or are they the same, and both work as "ins and outs"?

I am sure I used to know all this...... :) [/color]

Edited by NJE

The answer is, it depends on what those outputs actually are on the back of the amp, and how they are wired. Let's Google up the user manual
(here: [url="http://www.eden-electronics.com/info/manuals/pdf/WTX260%2001082007.pdf)"]http://www.eden-electronics.com/info/manua...2001082007.pdf)[/url] and see what we can find.

From a read through of that, you first option is to connect one of the two jacks on the back of the amp to each speaker cab, since the jacks on the head are wired in parallel (your two 8 ohm cabs in parallel gives the 4 ohms you want). Don't make any connections between the two cabs if you do it this way.

The other option is to go Speakon - Speakon from the head to one of the cabs, and then go jack- jack from that cab to the other, making your 'daisy chain' (Or the way you said, it's all the same)

I guess what you finally do will be dictated by the cables you have to hand. Apologies if I'm telling you something you know, but don't be tempted to use an instrument type Jack- Jack cable between your head and cab in your new arrangement - get proper speaker grade cables (OBBM is the member to talk to about cables :-) ) I saw our band's previous bass player wreck a very nice Yamaha head in that way. Twice.

Edited by Daquifsta

Thanks for the advice guys, I read the manual 3 times and just now on my fourth read spotted the line "The Jacks are wired in parallel" . . .stupid!

So I think after reading your replies I will probably go out from both Jacks in the head. Like Protium said, at least if one goes wrong or gets pulled out I still have sound. I think I will get OBBM to make me up some nice cables to do the job. I presume I can have Jack to Speakon cables made to do the job? I prefer speakon's as they cant be pulled out by stray feet as easily.

Thanks for your help chaps, my headache has gone now. Its amazing how I have managed to get by not knowing these things, always had single cabs though so I gues thats almost an excuse.

Cheers,

Nathan