Why become a member? ×

Upgrading Fender Jaguar bass electronics

Prime_BASS

So I researched the crap out of fender parts diagrams for it's more wierd basses and the jaguar/jazzmaster type guitars.

Well anyway, I know I can upgrade easily the volume and tone pots, the usual CTS pots orange drop capacitor.

The issue is with the active pre-amp.
The stock is pretty naff, the bass isn't articulate at all and just makes stuff muddy and the treble just makes the top sound brittle.

So I kinda want something like the stingray pre-amp replacements like Seymour duncans. But I'm confused at how to achieve this.
One thing is, is that I'm not sure if having abnormal passive tone would impact the active sound, and another is how to mount and wire the new pre in.

The stock one, is 2 pots mounted side ways on a plate with roller knobs on, and on/off switch, the circuit is actually mounted in a separate cavity under the strings.

The other thing is wiring inthe on off switch, so when it's off I get the typical passive jazz tone, and when its on, a difinate active sound.

One thing I thought of is the fender no-load tone pot, so when it's all the way on, there is no load, pickup to volume to jack basically. The only reason for this is that it's the load on the tone knob I think that gonna destroy the active sound. As it is with stock the pre-amp is just a bass and treble boost, and it still has the typical passive jazz tone but with the naff sound as described above.

Any help would be appreciated.