Why become a member? ×

Vol/tone

Toddy54

I have just fitted a pair of Seymour Duncan stk-j2 to my jazz which sound great, I have a Varitone fitted with a stacked pot (master volume and master tone) the middle is the blend and the last one the Varitone switch, both pots on the stacked are working as volume controls, also has two switches, series/ parallel and a bypass.

Has anybody got any idea how to cure this, Could be my wiring, but everything else works ok, there are two wires (red and white) which the instructions say solder together and tape up.

Many thanks.

sounds like a shorted cap on the tone pot to me as well, the red/white wires which you are told to solder together are normally inner wires from the humbucker coils, if you want to access single coil or coil-tap then these would go to your coil tap switch. That should leave you with a black and a green and a bare earth wire. Green + bare would normally go off to your earth on the back of the vol pot, black wire goes to your vol pot lug.
The SKT-2 is a 4-conductor pickup; single-coil-sized stacked humbucker allowing hotter output and none of the buzzing/noise problems associated with some single coil pickups.
Green = start of windings of coil 1. White is end of coil 1 windings. Red is start of windings for coil 2, and black is end of windings.
That's why you need to solder toegther red & white.

[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/products/basslines/501030-115.pdf"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/produc.../501030-115.pdf[/url]

Edited by Al Heeley

Thanks for the replies, sorry so long getting back (internet problem).

The varitone has 4 connectors in a block with screw in joints, I think I must have one of the wires in the wrong place from what you have told me. I will go and have another go at getting it right ( I am not too good with electrics ).

Again many thanks.