Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MAG 250 Head - Passive Input Broken

Hi All,

Well my trusted Ashdown head's passive input is broken, I have checked my bass on a practice amp so that is fine and also I can use the active input on the amp. I emailed ashdown about the problem and they just told me to replace it.

I opened it up today to check what I had to buy and found that it was soldered onto the board in 6 places. Has anyone done this before to advise me? Or would you just recommend getting a new amp head rather than sending it to Ashdown for service.

[quote name='Clockworkwar' post='901795' date='Jul 22 2010, 12:20 PM']Where do I get the inputs from? Also how do I take the front panel out?

EDIT: Ashdown are sending me a free input jack.[/quote]

That is very nice of them! :)

I've not worked on this particular amp before, however there should be four screws in the top of the amp head, that, when unbolted, allow the amp head to slide out of its chassis through the back. You will then be able to unbolt the PCB from the metal chassis, and you will have to unbolt the other I/O connectors from the front, and unbolt the potentiometers as well. Once this is done you should be able to lift up the PCB and get to the underside of it, so that you can de-solder and remove the old input jack. As I say though, I've not worked on these specific amps before so these instructions could be partly or entirely wrong :lol:

Anyway, when you do finally get to the solder side of the board, it might be a bit tricky but have patience and you will get it out just fine. Make sure you've got a solder sucker and some desoldering braid, and it should come out easily. Remember, don't try to pry the old one out, too much force and you'll damage the PCB tracks. Good luck. :rolleyes: