Why become a member? ×

REDUCED Upgraded Epi Sheraton g**tar inc hard case

Epiphone Sheraton II which I did some upgrades on in summary:

Hardware replaced with Tone Pros bridge and tailpiece (Nickel)
Pickups replaced with Gibson ( a Burtsbucker #1 and Classic 57) (Nickel)
All pots and switches replaced : CTS pots, Orange drop caps, Gibson switch
Push/Push switch added for out-of-phase in middle position
Tuners (Grovers) gold plating removed to reveal natural nickel finish

The result of this was to make a decent guitar sound great. No idea which of the individual changes had the most impact but an impact it has had! Also the look (replacing the gold prts with Nickel) has de-blinged the standard Sheraton look (much for the better imo)

The other (big) thing I did was to totally de-bling the super-thick and shiny finish by removing it with steel wool! It now has a matt patina that I absolutely love, and which may also have contributed to the opening up of the sound (it's a much louder guitar unplugged now too - probably also down to the hardware)

£450 + actual shipping inc hard case

(Good deal references available)

Edited by timmyo

I just sold my upgraded Sheraton II to a friend of mine. I left mine blinged but I had the pick-ups, pots, knobs, switch, input jack etc. all changed.

I reckon the biggest difference was chucking in a pair of Seymour Duncan Seth Lover '55 PAF-repro pick-ups - similar to your Burstbucker/Classic '57 combination.

Good luck with the sale. Very nice guitar.

Price includes personal delivery to Henley On Thames :) (I work in Slough)

Yeah the pickups are excellent - I have 57s in my LP and I love them there too.

imho the hardware change also made a big impact - there's a louder and more resonant unplugged sound now that comes across amplified too.

I will go through the whole process again when funds permit (although it was a godawful lot of work refinishing it ! ) but right now, funds dictate otherwise :ph34r:

Tim

[quote name='Lenny B' post='102986' date='Dec 11 2007, 11:06 PM']Looks great - I've a blonde Sheraton and you've given me some ideas for it (especially removing the varnish!)...[/quote]

start with 00 steel wool - don't worry if it looks pants - rub hard - then move on to 0000 - it will look slightly less pants - rub even harder - then (the 'secret' step) move on to car 'swirl remover'. If you end up too shiny again, go back to the 0000

It's hard work !

[quote name='timmyo' post='103084' date='Dec 12 2007, 09:35 AM']start with 00 steel wool - don't worry if it looks pants - rub hard - then move on to 0000 - it will look slightly less pants - rub even harder - then (the 'secret' step) move on to car 'swirl remover'. If you end up too shiny again, go back to the 0000

It's hard work ![/quote]

Thanks for that - I've sanded floors (also hard work), but I'll have to do the kitchen table before my Epi!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...