Why become a member? ×

1969 fender bassman 135

ollie.v

hi ,im new to this page and am after some valued expert advice. i have had bassman 135 for about 15yrs. its been reconditioned several times ie,transformers diodes etc on numerous occasions ,as with all classic gear,its temperamental. but the real problem i have is trying to match the right valves with it for that original sixty's valve sound. when you purchase a quartet or (corner) of valves,they are all different and give the amp a different sound each time. do you have any recomendations please?

[quote name='ollie.v' post='896968' date='Jul 16 2010, 11:12 PM']hi ,im new to this page and am after some valued expert advice. i have had bassman 135 for about 15yrs. its been reconditioned several times ie,transformers diodes etc on numerous occasions ,as with all classic gear,its temperamental. but the real problem i have is trying to match the right valves with it for that original sixty's valve sound. when you purchase a quartet or (corner) of valves,they are all different and give the amp a different sound each time. do you have any recomendations please?[/quote]
what a great amp you have!

yes, different valve types will have an effect on tone. i would suggest some nice NOS RCA's or Mullards will sound great and just like the original intended sound

[quote name='ollie.v' post='896968' date='Jul 16 2010, 11:12 PM']hi ,im new to this page and am after some valued expert advice. i have had bassman 135 for about 15yrs. its been reconditioned several times ie,transformers diodes etc on numerous occasions ,as with all classic gear,its temperamental. but the real problem i have is trying to match the right valves with it for that original sixty's valve sound. when you purchase a quartet or (corner) of valves,they are all different and give the amp a different sound each time. do you have any recomendations please?[/quote]

Have a chat with Derek at Watford Valves New old stock would be the best soultion but, they are very expensive these days as decent nos fetches silly money, even if you can find them. Better to get some of his Harma's which is his own brand which are matched graded, and burned in. We use his valves in all of the studio stuff here. They seem to have much better logevity than other modern stuff. i guess simply as they hae been tested.
Another good source is TAD tube amp doctor.

Basically pay special attention to your output valves you need a digitally matched set and they or course need biasing. These are the ones that go pre valves are much more robust. We havs a B15 with an orginal pre valve in it. Valve stuff is pretty robust if you let it cool down before moving it