Why become a member? ×

EHX BMS bast position in fx chain?

Al Heeley

Advice sought on best place within fx chain for an ehx bass microsynth.
We have:
tuner, compression, distortion, chorus + BMS at the core of my pedalboard.

Also, I hear some bad press about tone suck from the BMS in bypass mode, is this true? Is it so bad it should be modded or put onto a bypass loop using another footswitch?

If you're going to use the suboctave slider (standard-quality tracking analogue octaver) then you'll want it early enough in your chain for the tracking to work well. If you're not bothered about using that slider then it doesn't really matter where you put it.

If it's the older model then yes you'll find in bypass mode it destroys your sound, but if yours has a 3PDT footswitch (I think most do, mine both did) you can [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315187"]mod it to true bypass very easily[/url].

Edited by thisnameistaken

The bypass on mine is perfectly good, never noticed it deteriorating the sound in any way. It's a newer model though.

Regarding position, since it involves tracking, I put it at the very start of my signal chain, with the exception of a tuner pedal.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='893087' date='Jul 12 2010, 07:28 PM']Yes the newer model is true bypass, it's the older one that has a horrifically awful always-on buffer in it.[/quote]
Thanks for the link sir, will check out. EHX mention about feeding a compressor into it, but then you're going to drastically reduce the attack dynamincs for the filter operation?

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='893244' date='Jul 12 2010, 10:24 PM']Thanks for the link sir, will check out. EHX mention about feeding a compressor into it, but then you're going to drastically reduce the attack dynamincs for the filter operation?[/quote]

Actually the filter's not envelope-controlled. It is triggered by the level of your input signal at note attack, but the sweep is controlled by the start, stop and rate sliders and not your amplitude envelope. No matter how hard you pick, the filter sweep (assume it triggers at all) will always be exactly the sweep you've got set up with those sliders.

It's one of the reasons I really like the BMS, the filter is pretty unique and very good at aping a synth.

Need to play around a bit more then with comp level, as activating the comp in front of the BMS seemed to deaden the dynamics of the effect. Anyway, thanks to your link I now have a modded BMS pedal with true bypass and a proper fx status LED rather than a power on/off LED.