Why become a member? ×

blown power amp section

Right, I have an old Acoustic 120 bass head that has a blown power resistor in the power amp pcb. Rather than try to get this fixed, I was wondering if its possible to just use the pre-amp section (which is on a seperate pcb) to feed another power amp or powered cab?

How difficult would it be to disconnect the power supply to the faulty board and to use the pre-amp output to feed a couple of jack sockets on the rear panel? This would give me my preferred Acoustic sound but with a much higher output (I already own a 200w per side power amp)

Any thoughts?

Mark.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='886888' date='Jul 5 2010, 11:58 PM']Does it have an FX loop?

FX loops are between the pre and power stage so if you take the FX loop out and plug it to the return on another amp, it should be fine. I assume it'd work going straight in to the input too, but someone more qualified than me should tell you for certain.[/quote]

There is a pre-amp out and a power amp in, so yes an fx loop. I think if you use the power amp input, it disconnects the pre-amp, but not vice-versa.