Why become a member? ×

NEW BASS VIDEO LESSON WEBSITE-CHECK IT OUT!!

devinebass

Hi guys this is my new bass lesson blog/website type of thing [url="http://www.scottsbasslessons.com"]http://www.scottsbasslessons.com[/url]. Its literally been up and running for the last two days so there's not many vids on it yet... but there will be! Check it out and lemme know what you think. I apologize in advance for the poorish quality of video, i'm looking at other options of recording at the mo. I am available for online Skype lessons with real time screen sharing, i also teach on a one to one basis if you live within traveling distance of Leeds.

Take it easy, Scott.

PS. Before someone asks me about the glove i wear on my left hand in the vids... i've got a neurological condition called Focal Dystonia which causes misfiring neurons in my brain to cause unwanted movements in my fingers of both hands that i can't control (It just so happened on the days i recorded the vids my right hand was behaving its self as normally i wear them on both hands). Luckily the glove acts as a sensory trick and keeps the movements to a minimum. There super thin and tight... so don't try wearing ya winter woolies!!

Edited by devinebass

[quote]PS. Before someone asks me about the glove i wear on my left hand in the vids... i've got a neurological condition called Focal Dystonia which causes misfiring neurons in my brain to cause unwanted movements in my fingers of both hands that i can't control (It just so happened on the days i recorded the vids my right hand was behaving its self as normally i wear them on both hands). Luckily the glove acts as a sensory trick and keeps the movements to a minimum. There super thin and tight... so don't try wearing ya winter woolies!![/quote]

Hi Scott,
An oboist friend of mine also suffers from dystonia (about four years) but has recently found a chap in spain who has done wonders for him. it's a slow process but he has recovered some control that he hasn't had in at least 2 years.... if you'd like any more info on the guy just let me know and i'll get the details off my friend.

that obviously goes for anyone else who's interested too!

cheers,
Daf

Edited by daflewis

Hey Daf thanks for the info. I've actually been over to spain for the Dystonia... somewhere in Barcelona. There is another guy in Madrid that deals with it as well but his name escapes me. Over a two year period i was treated by several different people all over europe but unfortunately each treatment made my symptoms flare up to the point where i couldn't even play a major scale! It wasn't the best time in my life! Anyhow, through trial and error i've found a way to control it, i simply have to keep my playing hours per week below a certain threshold and it behaves itself so i can gig pretty much as normal. Hopefully in the future there will be a break through with the treatment of dystonia. On the plus side my dystonia has helped me focus upon other things other than playing and i've found i have a real passion for music education, particularly bass and improvisation.

With my new website I thought that'd it'd be cool to have an one-line resource that covered all the things that i found confusing when i was learning to play and improvise (i'm still learning too!). I've found that many players and past students of mine that are studying improvisation have very similar questions, for example..."what do i play over a II V I chord progression?", "should i use arpeggios or scales?", "how do i play 'out'?". These are the same things i struggled with too. The gag is... when i actually figured out how to do it i was shocked that it was really quite simple, i asked myself "why did nobody tell me this!". Hopefully my tutorials will answer some of these questions so bassists out there can stop wondering how and what to do and just get on with playing!

I'm gonna aim to do around three per week, as they take quite a while to do... i'm a technophobe so it probably takes me way longer than it should do.

Anyhooo, thanks Daf, tell your friend good look with his Dystonia.

Take it easy,

Scott.