Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot 715 combo (Current Model)

Krysbass

Been rehearsing with a covers band for a few weeks now and whilst I'm getting by OK with my Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110 in rehearsals, it looks like I'm going to have to get something with a bit more grunt for gigs.

I tried out an Ashdown EB180-15, liked the sound and considered going for the MAG 300watt version until I clocked the new Trace Elliot 715 combo. I've always thought about treating myself to some TE gear, but never too seriously until now.

I like the features in the new 715 - particularly the 7-band graphic, tweeter, built-in compression and the relatively portable cabinet size. However, as the only reviews I've been able to track down seem to be for the older 715 which has a larger cabinet and probably pre-dates Peavey's current ownership of TE, I'd be Interested to hear any views on the current 715 or any suggestions for alternatives within the same budget (up to £550).

[quote name='Krysbass' post='97262' date='Dec 1 2007, 04:18 PM']Been rehearsing with a covers band for a few weeks now and whilst I'm getting by OK with my Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110 in rehearsals, it looks like I'm going to have to get something with a bit more grunt for gigs.

I tried out an Ashdown EB180-15, liked the sound and considered going for the MAG 300watt version until I clocked the new Trace Elliot 715 combo. I've always thought about treating myself to some TE gear, but never too seriously until now.

I like the features in the new 715 - particularly the 7-band graphic, tweeter, built-in compression and the relatively portable cabinet size. However, as the only reviews I've been able to track down seem to be for the older 715 which has a larger cabinet and probably pre-dates Peavey's current ownership of TE, I'd be Interested to hear any views on the current 715 or any suggestions for alternatives within the same budget (up to £550).[/quote]
Not had a chance to play any of the new stuff myself yet, but by all accounts the 715 is the little brother and has had mixed reviews. However, if you like it and get the tone you want, buy it! I'm quite tempted to try it out with the idea for it to become my rig for my function band.

I was a huge fan of the (I think) original 715 - at the time. There wasn't the competition around then. The updated version puts it on a par with several other combo's for that sort of figure. The GK400RB115 - The SWR workingpro 15 - Hartke VX2515 (less coin) - you've already mentioned Ashdown. There's others out there.

I it was a simple a job as looking at the facilities I'd give the SWR a try , my heart would go GK , my wallet Hartke and I'd not think too much about the Trace except for old times sake.
Not that simple though. Go try all you can and pick the one where you don't have to swing on the knobs to get a basic sound you're happy with.

I'd also add that although I was a massive advocate of combos for gigs - had several , usually with extension cabs - I've changed my mind due to experience. I'd certainly go amp and cabs route for all but the smallest of gigs unless I was using the increasingly popular (and sensible) monitor/PA way of doing things even at pub/club level.

Edited by Dr.Dave

Thanks for that advice - I was wondering whether to take the trouble to track down a 715 to try it out and still might do that - I have to admit; there is some of that "old time's sake" thing going on with me there.

In the meantime, I've also spotted the Eden Nemesis NC115, which, (as with the Trace) features built-in compression and weighs in at just 19kg - so I might give that a try too.

I'm a bit limited on budget I guess, but I want to get something that I'm going to be happy with long term. I was thinking along the lines of a mini-rig too for a while centred around an Ashdown Superfly and small cab(s) - possibly DIY built. However, I'm a bit dubious now about the Superfly and Ashdown gear in general having read reports of some persistent faults, although it looks like Ashdown's customer service tends to score high in putting matters right.

• 1 month later...