Why become a member? ×

Ibanez EDB-550

*RooT*

[quote name='*RooT*' post='878694' date='Jun 27 2010, 10:43 AM']Is this bass any good, would it be suitable for a mixture of styles i.e. Metal and funk.... what sort of range is it..... thanks a lot.[/quote]

Presumably you're looking at the 2009 model in walnut finish etc,..
I wouldn't have thought with 2 jazz-style pickups it would be a natural for metal, but funk might be OK. Go to thomann.de and find the page for the 5 string version the 555. There's a short sound clip on there (no sound clip for the 550). Try to ignore the low B.

Balcro.

PS You might also find sound clips on youtube or wikizic.

I've got the 5-string version.
If you get one with the wenge/bubinga neck then it's quite similar to a Warwick. Plenty of grind in the low mids, whilst at the same time a little more versatile due to the widely spaced pickups.
There are a lot of different tones, from a smooth fingerstyle/solo on the bridge to a really deep, fat neck sound ideal for old skool slap or p-bass tones with treble rolled off. A wicked bass all in all and I would think very suitable for funk, rock, blues, metal, anything. In my top 5 basses ever owned (which includes £3K+ Ken Smiths, MTD, Modulus and Foderas!)

Where is it buzzy?
1.) From 1st to 5th fret - nut is probably cut too low. Get the nut built up or replaced.
2.) Around the 5th-15th frets - neck is too straight. Adjust the truss rod.
3.) At the top of the neck - not enough clearance. Raise the action (and straighten the neck if necessary).