Why become a member? ×

Can anyone do me a favour?

Finbar

So I'm just refinishing a Boss pedal at the moment. Almost done repainting it and I want to put the lettering on again in the original font. I couldn't find a "Boss font" [i]anywhere[/i] on the net, so I was wondering if anyone here could help.

The manual from the Roland website has the lettering quite clearly on the first page of the PDF - would anyone be able to create a vector of just the lettering for the top plate? It's an OC-2. I just need the "output", "input" and "Octave OC-2" doing, as well as the arrows. That would allow me to create a transfer for it at the correct size.

I am a noob and have no suitable software or skills for this, so I'd really appreciate any help :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='876990' date='Jun 24 2010, 11:38 PM']So I'm just refinishing a Boss pedal at the moment. Almost done repainting it and I want to put the lettering on again in the original font. I couldn't find a "Boss font" [i]anywhere[/i] on the net, so I was wondering if anyone here could help.

The manual from the Roland website has the lettering quite clearly on the first page of the PDF - would anyone be able to create a vector of just the lettering for the top plate? It's an OC-2. I just need the "output", "input" and "Octave OC-2" doing, as well as the arrows. That would allow me to create a transfer for it at the correct size.

I am a noob and have no suitable software or skills for this, so I'd really appreciate any help :)[/quote]

As far as I can tell, the text for the controls is Helvetica (use Arial at a push), but the Octave text presents a problem. It's possible to put together some outlines that say OCTAVE, but the lower case is very different and there aren't any examples in cataolgue I found. The source font doesn't seem to be around, very likely it's a custom design for Roland/Boss.

Three things give me mild cause for concern here...

1. What are the correct sizes?
2. If you don't have the software, how much use is a vector file going to be?

... and the Big One...

3. How do you intend to print/make/confect a white transfer?

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='877006' date='Jun 25 2010, 12:05 AM']As far as I can tell, the text for the controls is Helvetica (use Arial at a push), but the Octave text presents a problem. It's possible to put together some outlines that say OCTAVE, but the lower case is very different and there aren't any examples in cataolgue I found. The source font doesn't seem to be around, very likely it's a custom design for Roland/Boss.

Three things give me mild cause for concern here...

1. What are the correct sizes?
2. If you don't have the software, how much use is a vector file going to be?

... and the Big One...

3. How do you intend to print/make/confect a white transfer?

Pete.[/quote]

Yeah, it's mostly just the Octave text that is the problem. The other words would be fine with a near match.

At real life size, the capital O in Octave is 8.5mm tall, if that gives any indication of the correct size.

I can get the file printed at work (shh), so that shouldn't be a problem, it's just creating the file that is the key for me.

And I've refinished it in white, so the text is going to be black :)

ive done a similar job with motorcycle decals for one of my dads friends, do you just want a vector for the separate words that you can scale/ place yourself or do you want it as a clone of the full pedal to scale? i'm on my laptop atm but could take 10mins out tomorrow to do it.

rather than trying to find a close font, i prefer to just use an example in a decent resolution, select the lettering and refine the edges and convert the selection into vector form.

Edited by Colledge

Either really, I'll take what I can get! :) But I suppose having it actual size would mean no resizing or anything would need doing?

Like I say, the capital O is 8.5mm tall, so the rest should be scaleable from that?

There's a link to the image on the Roland site here:

[url="http://www.roland.co.uk/assets/media/pdf/OC-2_PSA_OM.pdf"]http://www.roland.co.uk/assets/media/pdf/OC-2_PSA_OM.pdf[/url]

[quote name='Finbar' post='877025' date='Jun 25 2010, 12:40 AM']Either really, I'll take what I can get! :) But I suppose having it actual size would mean no resizing or anything would need doing?

Like I say, the capital O is 8.5mm tall, so the rest should be scaleable from that?

There's a link to the image on the Roland site here:

[url="http://www.roland.co.uk/assets/media/pdf/OC-2_PSA_OM.pdf"]http://www.roland.co.uk/assets/media/pdf/OC-2_PSA_OM.pdf[/url][/quote]

Attached for your delectation etc.

I've duplicated the artwork to fill up an A4 sheet & included a couple in red, just in case that takes your fancy. I assume you're planning on using printable waterslide paper - if so, you may find the clear film is very thin indeed, so the spares might prove useful.
Make sure that "Fit to printable area" is unticked, otherwise the printer will mess the scaling up.

Hopefully this'll fit the bill...

Pete.